GR 2110 Diesel starting problem

/ GR 2110 Diesel starting problem #1  

Johnrickfelder

Tractor
John Deere
I have a GR2110. When I attempt to turn it over very often 1/20 attempts warm or cold I get a click click click. The weather doesn't seem to effect it. It has a new fully charged battery. I sprayed as many connections as I could and this did not seem to help. I may not have got the problem child. Any ideas?

/ GR 2110 Diesel starting problem #2  
The click probably indicates your safeties are satisfied so be sure you have adequate power to start. Remove cables from battery. Clean terminals and connecting surfaces of cables. Lead oxide is a poor conductor. Replace clamps and tighten. If you can wiggle them they are not tight. Follow ground lead to frame. Clean and tighten. You don't indicate what you sprayed connections with but there is no magic spray to make things better. If you go through the above process step by step we'll get to serious troubleshooting. Then again further troubleshooting may not even be required. Oh, welcome to TBN.

/ GR 2110 Diesel starting problem #3  
The click probably indicates your safeties are satisfied so be sure you have adequate power to start. Remove cables from battery. Clean terminals and connecting surfaces of cables. Lead oxide is a poor conductor. Replace clamps and tighten. If you can wiggle them they are not tight. Follow ground lead to frame. Clean and tighten. You don't indicate what you sprayed connections with but there is no magic spray to make things better. If you go through the above process step by step we'll get to serious troubleshooting. Then again further troubleshooting may not even be required. Oh, welcome to TBN.
Roadworthy gave you good advice. I would just add a minor nitpick that lead oxide is only going to exist at the battery terminals and I would think by now you have cleaned those. Far more likely is iron oxide (rust) at your ground cable connection to the frame. Steel wool and/or sandpaper (and bolt tightening) are good there. I do not know about the GR2110 but the BX2200 and similar (as well as many small Deere, etc.) have a widely reported issue of failure to get a good 12v to the solenoid to engage the starter and turn the motor for starting. Usually blamed on the long string of safety interlocks. If you get clicks and the motor will not turn over and you have a good condition battery AND you have cleaned all the cable connections (forget your sprays), then the infamous failure to get good voltage to the solenoid is probably your issue. My guess is that after you do what Roadworthy says it will start fine for quite a while. If the disease comes back a bit later I suggest a quick easy test: Hook a battery charger to the battery terminal no matter what the condition of the battery, even if the battery is the best in the county. The charger will put MORE than 12v on your cables to the solenoid and it will probably starter at the time of your next outage.

Give us more feedback after you do all these good things and see what you find.

/ GR 2110 Diesel starting problem #4  
Have a G2160 which us the earlier cousin to the GR. Had the clicking issue and placed a relay on the safety switch circuit that would in turn activate the starter solenoid. John Deere makes a low volt kit with parts that you can adapt but most of the square 30 amp automotive relays will work and never have problems with the G2160 starting.