Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #101  
It happens all the time in parts of the Bay Area… specifically when it comes to franchise businesses or non-union grocery…
i was in the franchise food business as a side investment and was amazed at a bunch of crazy things i learned but 1 thing i remember. some areas, neighborhoods etc etc DO NOT WANT franchised food.

i smell a bit of elitism but none of my business. actually, it was my business.

think that's tuff, try to get a restaurant sign zoned in Hilton Head!

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #102  
On one hand there is currently a war on zoning but only on some things…

California wants to ban single family home zoning statewide for the reason you mentioned ad exclusionary and elitist but on the other hand try to open a Chick-Gil-A

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #103  
On one hand there is currently a war on zoning but only on some things…

California wants to ban single family home zoning statewide for the reason you mentioned ad exclusionary and elitist but on the other hand try to open a Chick-Gil-A
When it comes to your state nothing surprises me anymore.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #104  
Lucky for me I own a Massey Ferguson. Deere is overpriced anyway. Wait for the prices once the strike is over🤨

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #105  
Nothing California does surprises me either. I sometimes wonder if their reasons for legislation even make sense to them. They often don't to me.

That said, the farming area just north and way to the east of the bay area was where our folk sometimes ended the harvest season after a summer and fall of hard work before heading home. There was usually some sort of field work to be had and the weather was nice.

We looked forward to California - but that was a while ago. I haven't been back in a while, but it is fun to read about their latest social experiments.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #106  
Last month Deere laid off 367 employees at their East Moline Harvester Works due to reduced demand for the product. The source I have said average annual pay they found for a line assembler at the plant was $40,655. That was based on an anonymous survey, self reporting. The survey results were posted in July 2021. I am surprised it is that low as when I worked for Case IH in that area, I remember our workers in the plant were paid comparable to other members of the UAW assembling cars and trucks for GM, Ford, and at that time Chrysler. I'm a bit surprised by this timing of a layoff at their Harvester Works. Farmers have often bought new equipment prior to year end for tax purposes. This year commodity prices have been quite high so I assume the need for equipment depreciation, especially since new equipment purchases qualify for bonus depreciation the first year. Often at Gleaner and CaseIH our best month was December. On YouTube farmers I follow, farmers have been buying new tractors to store in the back of machine sheds until next year for depreciation and also the possibility new tractors might not be available in the spring for planting season.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #107  
So why was there money available for a huge CEO raise, but the company suddenly can’t afford it when labor wants the same? Seems if the CEO didn’t grab such a large chunk, the employees would be more satisfied with their share. It’s always the same story—sorry, business is down and you need to take less for wages. But when business improves, management grabs the purse and runs.
And the CEO here is not paying anyone or taking any risks, financial or otherwise, beyond the risk of losing their job if they don’t perform, just like the janitor.
How many CEO s have wrecked a company thru incompetence, and suffered no more than the loss of their job, again, just like the janitor.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #108  
The strike is because of a labor shortage. The union smells opportunity to raise wages (or to stick it to Deere?) and is going to. Timing and administration is on their side. I wish them poorly, higher prices will just push more offshore purchases.

As for Deere, after record commodity prices when every farmer (exaggerating but lot of truth in it) was a millionaire Deere was selling equipment like hotcakes. Now that we're in a more normal high fuel, high ammonia/lower commodity prices, I expect Deere had overbuilt and now has excess capacity.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #109  
CEO takes credit when the company prospers--CEO takes the cash when the company fails.
As for the unions I do not wish anyone bad, but some people need to do a job and do it well without an inspector to watch over them and expecting to be the highest paid for doing very little.
Years ago when I worked with farm machinery we received combines with bolts missing in the frame, another had rod bolts left loose which cost and engine, Plugs left out of intake manifolds, even received tractors on rail cars the were damaged by union works before they left the factory.
With all this I was usually the person repairing the problems in the cold, in a dirt field, without cranes or other make easy tools. While the people who "built" the machines had every thing within reach, usually climate controlled environment, and two to three times (at least) the pay with glamorous benefits.
I have seen unions ruin business and or cause them to get the business moved overseas.
As for Deere just a bull in the china shop. Eventually the shop keeper take the bull by the horns. Of course apparently mother deere is getting desperate when the offer dealers rewards to trade competitive brands on new machines.
Even giants can fall just as IH did.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #110  
So why was there money available for a huge CEO raise, but the company suddenly can’t afford it when labor wants the same? Seems if the CEO didn’t grab such a large chunk, the employees would be more satisfied with their share. It’s always the same story—sorry, business is down and you need to take less for wages. But when business improves, management grabs the purse and runs.
And the CEO here is not paying anyone or taking any risks, financial or otherwise, beyond the risk of losing their job if they don’t perform, just like the janitor.
How many CEO s have wrecked a company thru incompetence, and suffered no more than the loss of their job, again, just like the janitor.
CEO's rarely lose their job just like a janitor, most times they get a generous pre-negotiated severance package and then the board of directors talk about all the bad decisions that the CEO made , and at that point I always have to wonder who really made a bad decision a dud who couldn't organize a sandwich making event and left with a 6 or 7 figure severance package or the board of blow hard's that hired him.

Status
Not open for further replies.