Need help with metal buildings

/ Need help with metal buildings #1  

PuffyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 3032e
We're wanting to have a complete, turn-key metal building built on our property and the choices seem overwhelming to say the least. Has anyone had one built recently in or around the north Texas/Oklahoma area? Who did you use and would you recommend them? Any lessons learned that you wish you knew beforehand?

We're looking at a 30x60x14 building sitting on a 36x80 concrete slab for the foundation, driveway and walkway. It will be fully insulated and heated/cooled year round. Roughly 2/3 will be a general shop area plus storage for a couple tractors. The other 1/3 will be office/living space but we'll handle the finish out for that ourselves. We're thinking we should probably run the plumbing for water and septic just in case we want to add that later on, which we most likely will.

We're ready to start but I don't have the time right now to do any of the work myself so we're wanting someone who can do it all from ground prep to hanging the lighting, much like building a new house. Any tips or recommendations?

Last edited:
   / Need help with metal buildings #2  
I had a 60x60 metal building installed recently. Yikes what an experience.

The market is flooded with "metal building companies." However, I was told there are only 2 manufacturers of metal buildings in the entire U.S. One is NCI and I forget the other one.

Do not fall for the scam that a company will give you a "special price" because another customer ordered exactly what you want but backed out of the nearly shipped order. It's a scam and such a building doesn't exist.

I strongly recommend including an engineer in your shopping. I did, and he recommended several upgrades to make the building better. I would not have even known to ask. One of them is building "stiffness" when the wind hits it. I paid $1,200 extra for a stouter building (L/1080?) and my building is much more solid in wind than others I have previously owned.

I would recommend either purchasing turn-key, with one company doing everything, or a building from one company and a highly rated installer in your area for that part. Be sure to carefully check out the installer and get them under contract before ordering your building. I didn't, and had to really scramble to find an erector.

The most expensive installer (price was double) wanted to first inventory every one of the thousands of pieces and parts. It sounded like a huge waste of time but I wish I had done it. Sure enough, at several places during construction, missing items were discovered, and work ground to a halt. It is really wise to inventory all parts before starting construction.

Get a good quality concrete contractor for the slab. Excavate, reinforce, and run all conduit (and more) that you ever think you might need. When they place the anchor bolts used for the iron columns, double and triple check the placement. A few of mine were off, so holes had to be drilled, and new anchors were expoxied in-- not as good as original.

Finally, really think through size and door placement. You always need something bigger-- that's just life. I "needed" 60x40, built a 60x60, and its still full with stuff outside. Good luck with your project!

/ Need help with metal buildings #3  
I had a 30x40 red steel building erected 3 years ago. Most of the design was done over the phone and by email. I used a true fabricator that can design, engineer, and provide pretty much anything you want for a basic dried in building in the Southeast. They sub out to their preferred erectors or one of your choosing. I quickly learned that my desire for ‘turnkey’ really wasn’t an option with them. I had to find contractors for grading, concrete, electrical, etc. They don’t do fancy, just solid buildings with a few options for doors and windows, though they will rough in openings for later finish work.

/ Need help with metal buildings #4  
Also, everyone advised against using the self flashing windows. I used Pella windows from Lowes.

/ Need help with metal buildings #5  
We had Miller's Metal Buildings in Burleson (Texas) build our 40 x 60 x 16. i recommend them without reservation. I don't know if they build in Oklahoma though.

/ Need help with metal buildings #6  
We are in the same boat. Talked to a guy today and they cannot start building until at least next year. 40x60, but same concept as OP. $44k.

/ Need help with metal buildings #7  
We build them.

/ Need help with metal buildings #8  
We build them.
You mean that is your business or that when you need that work done you do it yourself?

@Ferpen, I reached out to them to see if they come all the way up by me. Probably 3 hours from Burleson if traffic is good.

/ Need help with metal buildings #9  
You mean that is your business or that when you need that work done you do it yourself?

@Ferpen, I reached out to them to see if they come all the way up by me. Probably 3 hours from Burleson if traffic is good.
I've built many metal buildings not on my property.

/ Need help with metal buildings #10  
I just started to do some preliminary budgeting as hoping to build something next year. I haven't decided on red steel vs pole barn. My first quote back was from Morton buildings. They quoted me $40-50sq foot, that did not include doors, concrete or electric and was based on a 40X50X16. Adding concrete and three overhead doors and two regular doors added quite a bit more. Rough estimates were at $150K Insulated, all concrete, doors windows and expenses. Electric would be on top of this.