Top link

/ Top link #1  

Mtsoxfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D
I've done lots of reading. Still unsure. Looking for a top link for brush hog, ballast box. I measured with side bars level, top link pin to centerline of side link level. I measured 27 inches. Do I need a top link that the middle of travel is 27 inches? New Holland TC29D

/ Top link #2  
I'd go with one whose center is about 27 inches. That gives you reasonable adjustment either way.

/ Top link #3  
As suggested a 27" would be optimum but any length is acceptable as long as the thread is fully engaged on each end under full extension, usually around 2 to 3 inches.

/ Top link #4  
For those attachments you can use a chain instead on a top link:
chain toplink_640.jpg

/ Top link
Thanks. I tend to overthink things... so while laying in bed this morning, I was wondering if I measured correctly. I measured with arms level to ground, and measured at an angle from top link bracket to centerline of lower arms. Should I have measured straight back, parallel to lower arms?

/ Top link #6  
There is a negative you need to be aware of with a chain for top link which could be solved running the chain through a metal pipe of needed length. I know for it happened to me.

With most mowers there is a rear wheel whether finishing mower or rough cut or with flail mower the roller on the back. I was backing up to mow the side of the road and the tilt was more than I realized as it tilted to the point it jammed the pto shaft together and then shoved in the pto shaft on the tractor. It jammed the front pto which for me is not an issue as I don't use it but know that danger is there.

Now say I would never do that, okay. I would have said the same thing. But I did.

I was fortunate with how little damage was done, have had people tell me their damage was much worse.

/ Top link #7  
Thanks. I tend to overthink things... so while laying in bed this morning, I was wondering if I measured correctly. I measured with arms level to ground, and measured at an angle from top link bracket to centerline of lower arms. Should I have measured straight back, parallel to lower arms?
Yes, the top link needs to be close to parallel to the lower arms.

The best way to find the length needed is to connect the lower arms to the brush hog raise it some and park on a flat area.

Set the lower arms so the front of the brush hog is slightly closer to the ground than the rear.
Measure between the holes for the top link. This is the middle adjusted length of the top link you need.