Deer eating my small apple trees

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I've been planting bare root apple trees to replace a mature apple orchard that is slowly dying out. This summer, my small trees were nearly wiped out by deer. A drought year left little for the deer to eat elsewhere, so they got aggressive even in spite of fencing.

At first, I used two T-posts and a circle of 4' wire fence around the trees. The deer easily defeated that by pushing on the wire. I then tried three T-posts and a wider fence radius of protection. The deer learned to push on the wire mid-way between the T-posts and they could still get to the apple tree leaves.

What are some alternatives to keeping the deer away from the apple trees? I have plenty of T-posts and wire fence, but I either need a better approach or a way to reinforce the upper part of the fence so it can't be pushed.

Any ideas?

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #2  
Deer will get on their hind feet and reach way up to get leaves. DNR here has said deer numbers are about the highest they have ever been. If I plant a nice tree, you have to protect it until it gets bigger than they can reach, then you protect it so they won't rub it.

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #3  
Check with the local game warden. You are probably within your rights terminating the offending animals. The warden will tell you about how you may legally dispose of the carcass.

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #4  
'Terminate' an animal for being hungry? Really?

OP, is there something else you can plant that they might like better and allow them better access? Do you have room for a food plot for them?

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #5  
Yes. The alternative is that the growing numbers of deer will have higher populations die of starvation, impact with vehicles, or freeze due to lack of cover. There are not enough predator species around to keep deer populations on check.

In some places, they will manage the remains by feeding the poor.

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #6  
Good strong fencing least 6' high only thing works found works for me.

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #7  
'Terminate' an animal for being hungry? Really?

OP, is there something else you can plant that they might like better and allow them better access? Do you have room for a food plot for them?
Yes Indeed. Put out Apple flavored corn in large easy to eat from buckets for them. Put out water for them to drink. They will not go for the trees, and will prefer the flavored apple corn. Put all this about 100 yards away from your fencing. Then each week move the feeding center an additional 50 yards away. Eventually you get them feeding far away from your fenced apple trees, and are no longer a threat.

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #8  
Deer will eat anything if they get hungry enough. During the harsh winter of 1993, they actually got up on our neighbors deck an ate their plastic marigolds. Of course they threw it all up almost immediately but the plastic flowers were ruined.

My wife and I have had pretty good luck with all natural sprays that contain Coyote urine and a bunch of other noxious smelling ingredients. They have to be applied after it rains and weekly if it doesn't. Not practical for a large orchard though.

We also use 6' high fencing abound our fruit & ornamental trees. We use heavy gauge wire with 4 or 6 pieces of 1/2" rebar in a 6' circle around the trees. Yes, they can push it in but usually not far enough to do any damage. Again, this may not be practical for an orchard.

We tried putting out food to keep them away from the plantings but it just attracted more deer. It eventually got too expensive and we gave up the idea.

We inquired with the state game commission about shooting the offending deer. We were told it is only legal for farmers or landowners who make a living from the land. Besides, the desire to kill them is just a knee jerk reaction which passes quickly. We really aren't that cruel. I suppose it would be different if we depended on a crop for our livelihood.

We know several people who keep dogs outside on a lead near their plantings. It works fairly well but to us, it seems rather cruel to the dog.

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #9  
Yep, i was going to say dogs too. Fence in the whole orchard and put dogs with doghouses inside the fence. fence is to keep dogs in, dogs keep deer out.

Man's best friend has so many uses.

/ Deer eating my small apple trees #10  
Sorry to hear about your deer issues. It always seems so unfair to bare root trees.
Things that I have tried over the years that worked somewhat;
  • Stronger, taller fence.
  • Liquid fence (I can't stand the stuff, but it worked for us. Practically threw up applying it.)
  • We have an IR motion sensing sprinkler which helps some on smaller animals.
  • Food plots elsewhere.

I like the dogs idea, but I have never tried it.

All the best,

Peter