The gated community issue.

/ The gated community issue. #11  
I never wanted to live in a gated community. But I do worry about the meth users and the people who visit them at the end of the road I live on. The road is short, is a dead end, and my property runs to the end. The meth head's driveway is the last on the road and the property they rent shuts mine. I do sometimes wish I could wall them off.
Eric

/ The gated community issue. #12  
I don't consider a 'gaited community, rural. No gates out here and everyone is armed.
Yep, I'm Rural 350' off the main road. Gated drive, cameras, and of course, Armed !

/ The gated community issue. #13  
My place is a gated community, it’s just a community of one (us). The wife claims to be head of the HOA but I refuse to acknowledge her authority. The closest gate is about 1000 feet away and anyone caught on the wrong side will have to first take it up with the two dogs, and let me tell you, those guys have no sense of humor.

/ The gated community issue. #14  
I have two friends that both had/have dogs. They live out in the country, and both warned me that when I drove up, don't open the car door. Wait for them to come and get the dogs, because the dogs don't like strangers. In both cases, I drove up, the dogs came running up barking and snarling, I opened the door and asked them if they wanted to go for a ride. They hopped right in and I drove off with their dogs. Drove them around the block (in their cases, that's about a 4 mile drive, each). I came back and let the dogs out and the owners looked so dejected. One of them suggested that now he'd have to shoot me. 🙃

I think of dogs more like driveway alarms and that's about it.

Dogs like trucks.

/ The gated community issue.
Jcholine- "...can you wall, fence, or gate off your property from that shared road?"
Yes I can. And so could all the other people up the road, and some have at the end of their respective driveways already done that. It would become a road full of individual gates. Individually maintained and each delivery service would have to deal with individual access codes. This would be A way to go. I just don't think its the best way to go, if there is only one point of entry/exit anyway. One code and one gate, to this PRIVATE ROAD, maintained by the community, makes more sense to me. And for some folk that don't understand how I got here, I completely understand... I didn't want to get here either. Some one probed all 6 of the drives ways off this road recently at 12am. They didn't do mine as i have a clearly set up Video System that lights up on close motions in to the drive way. But that night, and just sort of randomly, all our camera systems failed to record anything. Well, lets just say we all got lazy and this car is unrecorded. And why not get lazy, if nothing has happened in 17 years. So the choice to me, is we maintain individually our own systems, or invest in one system at the point of entry. This single point entry makes more sense. Then you know everyone up the hill has been vetted, or at least car pics/plates were recorded. And we could all still have our own way of doing it.

/ The gated community issue. #16  
Find it hard to imagine why any one would want to live with out a gate. With todays technology its easy to arrange convenient access for those deemed to need it. The rest can just stay out.

/ The gated community issue. #17  
I have a neighbor with rentals. I tired of their lost guests turning around in my front yard years ago. I gated the entrance and have a wifi camera that uploads all recorded movements to the cloud.

Up until now I just had the entrance area fenced and if someone was a mind to they could walk around through the woods and get on my property. That adjoining property was just cleared by a developer to get two houses on it. I may end up doing a full perimeter fence but for now i just put up new no trespassing, no hunting signs.

/ The gated community issue. #18  
I have two friends that both had/have dogs. They live out in the country, and both warned me that when I drove up, don't open the car door. Wait for them to come and get the dogs, because the dogs don't like strangers. In both cases, I drove up, the dogs came running up barking and snarling, I opened the door and asked them if they wanted to go for a ride. They hopped right in and I drove off with their dogs. Drove them around the block (in their cases, that's about a 4 mile drive, each). I came back and let the dogs out and the owners looked so dejected. One of them suggested that now he'd have to shoot me. 🙃

I think of dogs more like driveway alarms and that's about it.

Dogs like trucks.

Ok, we live in CT so I won't say we live in the country... but if you really believe "I think of dogs more like driveway alarms and that's about it." Then you should never trespass in our area because I don't like burying bodies.... If I'm not home but my wife is our dogs would gladly jump in your truck & drag you out of it... not saying it to be offensive... it is reality... they protect their own... our property is posted... (Yes even about the dogs)... they are not viscous... my nieces & nephews play with then weekly... heck they ride them & are pulled around by them... but, they are protective of their own...

/ The gated community issue. #19  
We put up a gate at the end of our drive while our house was still under construction, because the builder had a generator stolen from the site. It's not Fort Knox, but it's an extra barrier that eliminates quick and easy drive-up access for crooks. I think that's typically enough to send them down the road to an easier target.

/ The gated community issue. #20  
If you are considering this, you may want to check with your local package delivery folks, and make plans to accommodate their policies. I know that locally FedEx won't take gate codes, so they deliver packages at the gate. UPS and Amazon are the only ones locally willing to take gate codes, and only UPS is reliable about it. Amazon is hit or miss on following the delivery instructions, which I assume happens when a subcontractor gets the shipment instead of Amazon.

YMMV...

A neighbor has a Ring camera on his gate, and has captured some wonderful footage of John Q. Public doing stupid things (like being unable to keep a motorcycle upright and domino-ing parked motorcycles into each other, and mail thieves). One couple drove fifty miles to steal mail from his mailbox. My favorite part of the video was when they were parked in the middle of the road, the woman in the vehicle kindly turned on the hazard lights as the guy walks over to jimmy the mailbox. The hazard lights beautifully illuminated the guy jimmying the mailbox. USPS does certainly take video evidence and fingerprints.

We had some issues with overflights by drones for a bit, (scoping property out?), but that was something that the local LEOs were interested in and whoever it was is no longer doing it.

All the best,

Peter