Dogs.

/ Dogs. #62  
I used to make all of our dog food when I had a dog with special diet (kidney failure). The other dogs ate the same food during that time. Now I use Blue Buffalo as a base (40 to 50% of what they eat) And root veggies, apples, cooked meat, etc. as an adder. Whatever we are eating (unless that contains raisins, garlic, nutmeg, chocolate, etc).

/ Dogs. #63  
Many dogs have food allergies. It is far more common than most people realize. 2 of our 3 dogs currently (had 4, lost one this summer from cancer) have multiple food allergies. Some are "mild" allergies and some are "severe". We are using 2 different foods at the moment for the 3 dogs because the dogs couldn't agree to be allergic to the same things.

Our vet allergy tested our dogs. You get a report back for each dog on what their allergic to, and how severe the allergic reaction was. If it's above a certain threshold you should avoid giving your dog any food with that ingredient in it. Some food allergies can produce strange results in the individual dog.

I would recommend having your dog tested for allergies (it's a blood test sent off to a lab), so you're not feeding the dog something that's making him ill, or tired, or itchy, or "gunky" eyes, or doing funny things to his urine ph levels, or any number of other things.

Some of the things dogs can be allergic to are surprising. Some of the ingredients in dog food (I don't mean bad or harmful) like "flax seed", etc (we have a dog severely allergic to flax seed) are also surprising. A very "high quality" dog food can still have stuff in it that your particular dog is allergic to.

/ Dogs. #64  
I did not know a simple blood test could do that. Good to know.

/ Dogs. #65  
IMG_1591.JPG

/ Dogs. #68  
I did not know a simple blood test could do that. Good to know.
I didn't either. Ruger has skin issues... at times his feet get so inflamed that I have to soak them twice per day. Tonight I gave him a Benedryl because I got tired of his constant scratching.

/ Dogs. #69  
He's all on or all off. About 80% of daytime hours are spent trying to get us to play with him. A few minutes after the picture was taken we took him out for a walk, he went from how you saw him to full tilt boogie in about 2 seconds flat. Now he's resting again (probably growing!), waiting for dinner.
This is our third golden retriever, our first was a real gem, wanting more than an6to please us. The next one was a bit more of a problem, she was stubborn until the day she died. Some of it may have been because we had a young child at that time and had less time to devote to her.
This one looks like he is going to be a great dog as well. He minds well and is very smart and gentle if a bit rambunctious at times.