TYM test drive

/ TYM test drive #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
I found a dealer within an hour of my place with a few TYM tractors on the lot. He had a few 494 and a 574. I drove the 574c with SS and a 494 ROPS with HST.

I was immediately impressed by the turning radius. These are not tiny tractors, but the steering mechanism allows a much tighter turn than similar tractors. The ride was nice in both. Suspension seats with arm rests are standard. The deck is flat and has a rubberized mat. Steering wheel tilts and was easy to handle. The cab was spacious and had extras beyond what I would need with USB jacks and cig. lighter ac. It was low 70s and humid, the AC worked well. The rear and side windows opened easily. The rear opened wide enough I could have easily climbed out...I am 6'1" about 240. The HST works differently than some others. It automatically increases rpm as needed, so when you push down it revs up more. I think this would make climbing and pulling more intuitive.

What I didn't like was the gear and range shifters on both were tough to move. Some of this, I am sure will improve with familiarity, but I would be concerned about wife operating. The SS is only 8x8 on that model, I think I would prefer more options, low range was very slow and high was maybe too fast for bush hog work. The shuttle is not power shift, so you need to clutch to change directions. HST stops abruptly if you take your foot off. Another thing that familiarity would likely adjust for, but could cause injury if going quickly and foot slips.

/ TYM test drive #2  
The HST takes a little bit to get used to, not to treat it like a throttle pedal is the hardest to remember.........despite the linked pedal feature. The harder you press the higher ratio in the gear selection you're trying to achieve.

/ TYM test drive #3  
I like the linked hst pedal on my Kubota, but yes it is definitely not like a car accelerator. I generally keep the throttle manually set at about 1500rpm minimum, and the pedal takes over after that.
Clutching for forward or reverse would be a deal breaker for me personally, having done my time on a straight manual transmission.

That said, most operators can get used to any setup and be efficient.

/ TYM test drive #5  
SS. Maybe - Shuttle shift - ??

/ TYM test drive #6  
Powershuttle is awesome and I'm sure it's available in the line you're are interested in. TYM makes a solid tractor.

/ TYM test drive
SS. Maybe - Shuttle shift - ??
Yes, shuttle shift. Fwd-N-Rev on the left steering column. 2 ranges on the left, 4 gears on the right.