Mod question for BETSTCO FH-AGL-145 flail mower...(flow restrictor? PTO extension?)

/ Mod question for BETSTCO FH-AGL-145 flail mower...(flow restrictor? PTO extension?) #11  
yes

/ Mod question for BETSTCO FH-AGL-145 flail mower...(flow restrictor? PTO extension?)
Got the restriction orifices and at 1/32nd they were too restrictive and very slow even at working RPMs...so to avoid excess heat and knowing I have room for controlling more flow I drilled them out to 1/16th (I didn't have a 3/64th bit). That was good, and seems to work well for the lateral extension/retraction feature of the mower, but is a bit faster than I liked for the tilt feature...although much better than without the restriction of course...no more shaking the tractor, so I wouldn't be worried about abuse with this size orifice. That said, at just $8 each, I am going to get two more as well as a 3/64th drill bit and drill them out to 3/64th and pretty confident that is what I will use for the tilt function anyway (and probably the lateral extension/extraction as well).

So, it looks like...

3/64-1/16th will be ideal for lateral extension/extraction function
3/64th will be ideal for the tilt function.

/ Mod question for BETSTCO FH-AGL-145 flail mower...(flow restrictor? PTO extension?) #13  
I use a number drill bit set so I can go .001 at a time instead of .015.

Good job on doing some experimentation on your issue. (y)

/ Mod question for BETSTCO FH-AGL-145 flail mower...(flow restrictor? PTO extension?)
I have good control on the drop of the tilt even with 1/16th...but on the tilt up stroke it was a bit herky jerky when starting and stopping the upward motion...but still better than before. I think the 3/64th will be good.

Nice.

Oh, and thanks again for all your help.

/ Mod question for BETSTCO FH-AGL-145 flail mower...(flow restrictor? PTO extension?) #16  
Like your mower and think your solution makes it more functional and safer. Lot of weight hanging away from the tractor.

Like your mower and think your solution makes it more functional and safer. Lot of weight hanging away from the tractor.
Thanks. Truth is...I wasn't ever concerned of flipping because I don't put myself in those situations, but yes, I am sure this extra control makes it safer. It feels very stable although I have only used it with the front loader on.

My concern with the shaking is more about abuse to the tractor over time. I had already noticed the pins/bolts that hold the stabilizer arms for the three point bent pretty quick and a very small bend where the stabilizer arms attaches to the tractor on the "drop ear" (whatever you call that attachment point) on the bottom of the ROPS. The pins/bolts are kind of disposible, but never-the-less, I want to prevent that jarring action. I have also seen bolts bend there when using a 5' rotary cutter from just rocking side to side. So, I want to minimize the swaying of any heavy implement to prevent such abuse.

Last edited:
Ran it a bit today with the 1/16th's restriction, and it worked well. 3/64 would be better for the tilt, but 1/16th was much better for the tilt than the stock...and 1/16th seems about perfect for the extension/extraction feature.

/ Mod question for BETSTCO FH-AGL-145 flail mower...(flow restrictor? PTO extension?) #19  
I use adjustable valves similar to the first link for my ditch bank flail, works well. Let's you determine exactly how fast you want the flail to move, and change your mind.

If you don't mind, using 1/16th, or even 3/64ths if I drop down...how much heat is created by hydraulic restrictions this size, and since these implements are only used intermittently and not under constant manipulation, is there any concern about cycle frequency or rest time intervals?

Note: intermittent use can vary and while in most cases I am sure would NOT be a concern...but when I am working in an area that requires a lot of tilt or extension adjustment as I move along (a sloping bank that varies in slope/angle requiring me to adjust as I go...or along a treeline where I may swing the mower in and out...or worse...both), do I need to be aware of giving the system a percentage of rest time when being used in applications that demand more frequent adjustment?

Honestly, I have a hard time thinking it would be an issue given the rate of flow in the pistons still being decent, just not sensitive...but I like to know I am operating things correctly rather than just assume.

Last edited: