Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt?

/ Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
I often only want to spread 50 to 100 lbs of salt, and the most I've ever spread was 200 lbs. My driveway is 250' long and not very wide. The 3 pt spreaders I've seen look like they'd actually be a little difficult for doing this, as they're designed for several times more salt and look like they might spread the salt wider than I'd want. Is there a good attachment for spreading just a little? Or are the bigger ones (like I've seen at TSC) perfectly appropriate for this?

Thanks!

/ Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #2  
Probably better off with a little walk behind spreader

Snowex 100 lb. capacity Broadcast Spreader SP-65

/ Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #4  
Get one designed for salt. Went cheap, got a dry material spreader. Had to add top to keep salt in hopper. Added cat food bags to sides to keep salt in drive
. Have to use blower or compressed air to remove the excess after using. Every 2-3 years, dismantle, remove rust and blistered paint, repaint and re-assemble. A good reciever spreader 1K or less. I'll upgrade before too many more years
20201202_144611.jpg

20201202_144628.jpg

/ Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #5  
   / Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #6  
Sorry, but I don't want salt anywhere near my tractor. Stay away from anything that says Chloride. There are other options... Just plain sand works well and will not destroy your equipment. There are better, more expensive options, but sand provides traction and absorbs heat to melt the ice. Will not melt well much below 20, but it still adds traction.

/ Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #8  
Sorry, but I don't want salt anywhere near my tractor. Stay away from anything that says Chloride. There are other options... Just plain sand works well and will not destroy your equipment. There are better, more expensive options, but sand provides traction and absorbs heat to melt the ice. Will not melt well much below 20, but it still adds traction.

That sounds real good, just one minor little thing.
When it gets cold sand piles freeze so unless you can bust through a foot or two of frozen sand to get to what hasn't froze you will not sand much.
And as soon as you break through it will freeze there.
I get a tandem or tri-axle load of salted sand every year or two for my long steep driveway.
bunker 9.jpg

sander 7.jpg

Don't know what is going on tonight had to edit my post the first time both pics came up as attachments, and I couldn't open them.

/ Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #9  
That sounds real good, just one minor little thing.
When it gets cold sand piles freeze so unless you can bust through a foot or two of frozen sand to get to what hasn't froze you will not sand much.
And as soon as you break through it will freeze there.
I hear you, where I grew up is about 2 degrees of latitude further north (and a lot further west!).

I cannot believe you don't keep your sand in a climate controlled building. Haha

The sand is not freezing solid, that is just all of the moisture. If you have a way to keep it dry, it would be fine. Of course, that may not be practical.

Ultimately, salt is not especially effective once temps get really cold (loses effectiveness under 20 degrees). The positive effects of sand are there regardless of temp. If you are really serious about using salt, do what Highway departments do and make a brine. It acts sooner and stays put better than dry salt.

Beet juice is better as it is non corrosive. Crews in many states are combining beet juice and salt brine as it makes it effective in sub zero temps and reduces the amount of salt used. Less salt leads to less corrosion and less salt leaching into your soil.

If you have to use salts, use the calcium or magnesium versions as they are less corrosive than sodium. Yes, they are more expensive.

/ Spreading just a tiny amount of road salt? #10  
We spread 80 lbs of barn lime on the litter alley of the dairy barn every day for decades by hand out of a 5 gallon pail. 8' wide by 120' long. With a little practice a near perfect spread pattern is easy.
It kinda depends on how often 'often' is and how able and ambitious you are.