No more 'treadle pedal'

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #21  
I was looking at an new MX series with hydrostat drive and immediately noticed that Kubota got rid of the clunky 'treadle pedal' and replaced it with a much shorter 2 level cast aluminum pedal control that is 100% Drive by Wire. Never had a hydrostat but I've always not been impressed with the oversized 'treadle pedal'. Not there on the new MX series.
My L6060 has the small aluminum HST pedal. HST is servo assisted so little effort is needed.

I'm not fond of the pedal because, among other things, it is too far from the floorboard.

Yes, I've become somewhat used to it over time, but, in my opinion, the engineer that designed it, along with the one that designed the adjustable lift lever stop, should be looking for alternative employment.

SDT

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #22  
I assume you mean cables when you say 'drive by wire?' Not like 'fly by wire' in an aircraft which means electronics. Interesting. I need to go look at one...
No.

It's electrical/servo assisted.

SDT

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #24  
No.

It's electrical/servo assisted.

SDT
That is daggone interesting SDT. I spent my career receiving/processing/displaying data from test aircraft and recall what we did testing fly-by-wire controls for the F-18 in the 1980's. I have to wonder if tech complexity is multiplying the things that "can go wrong" on our newer tractors.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #25  
If you don't like the treadle just cut the back half off and then you have a pedal. Push with your toe to go forward and pull up with your toe to reverse, very intuitive. That is how I use mine but the rear half remains. :)

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #26  
If you don't like the treadle just cut the back half off and then you have a pedal. Push with your toe to go forward and pull up with your toe to reverse, very intuitive. That is how I use mine but the rear half remains. :)
My foot is small enough to fit inside the peddle on the B2601. Been trying lifting with the toe. May be the way to go.

/ No more 'treadle pedal'
Last one I had was the 5030 HSTC, gone almost ten plus years ago, replaced by a gear shift, range selector and a power reverser (to coin a JD term) or a hydraulic shuttle selector. I still have a fuel pedal on both in case they need a 'nudge' and a hand throttle as well. My issue with the 'hydrostat' was always the parasitic power loss that the gear drives don't have. Don't miss the constant 'whine' either. Both of my zero turns whine. Must be an inherent part of the fluid drive mechanism.

/ No more 'treadle pedal'
My L6060 has the small aluminum HST pedal. HST is servo assisted so little effort is needed.

I'm not fond of the pedal because, among other things, it is too far from the floorboard.

Yes, I've become somewhat used to it over time, but, in my opinion, the engineer that designed it, along with the one that designed the adjustable lift lever stop, should be looking for alternative employment.

SDT
The GS 850 side by side my wife purchased last spring also has a terrible fuel pedal (it's drive by cable to the EFI unit). The pedal is too high and in the wrong location to be comfortable to push plus the spring is way too light so modulation of it is always a chore.

It appears that Kubota puts little engineering thought into the placement or design of their fuel pedals.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #29  
I like the treadle on my BX25D. Nobody has mentioned its big advantage: when you turn your body to look backwards for reverse, you don't have to contort your leg to pressing the reverse side of the treadle. Plus it's intuitive: front end to go forward, back end to go reverse.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #30  

SDT
STD, where have you been? Missed your postings.

I agree with the 3 point lever stop. I intend to get a cam lever to improve mine.

Last edited: