JOhn Deere won’t move

/ JOhn Deere won’t move
I want to first thank everyone for thier patients, understanding and help! It is very much appreciated!

After opening the drain plug on the very rear I barely got any fluid to drain at all, about a pint then just a very slow dribble.
Knowing it takes a lot of fluid as I have watched him just pour from a 5 gallon pail I was shocked and dumbfounded at the same time because the dip stick was still showing it was full.

So I searched the closet and office till I found the paperwork and manuals that came with it. Dummy me should have looked first in his old file cabinet. There it was under the J files along with every other piece of paper from every John Deere he ever owned. My lord I don’t think he ever threw anything away!

Anyway I found there is a second drain plug on the side of the transaxle and once I opened it everything drained fairly quickly. A little messy as I could only find a 5 gallon pail and an old hot baloghny jar so I used what I had and made my sister cover the hole with her finger when the jar was full then dumped it into the pail.

I know now why he has so many tools because that filter for the pick up didn’t. Want to budge after getting the cover off and I cut my finger trying. Searched the toolboxes and found a real nifty little thing that puts outward pressure when you squeeze it that fit right in there and it just pulled out with no problem.

The filter was covered in a thick gooey silverish sludge and something told me the filter change was due in Dec. 2021 not just done.
So I headed into town and purchased an other filter after using the parts washer on this one, figured I best replace the other one again. Holy S that filter costs more by itself then one can imagine! Is there a cheaper source?

Anyway back to the tractor replaced the filter again, installed the pick up screen as it’s been referred to after blowing it dry from the inside out with the low pressure air line he has. If I read the gauge correctly it was set at 20 psi so I hope that didn’t hurt anything. I was worried that the stuff from the parts washer would contaminate the hydraulic fluid.

After tightening everything back up and cursing like a sailor as I balanced myself on a chair trying to pour 4.75 gallons of hydraulic fluid into a poorly fitting funnel without spilling it all over the place. I let it sit for a while for the fluid to settle, then topped it off to replace what ended up on the floor.

Once it was full, I crossed my fingers, started it up and held my breath as I pulled on the joystick and Holy Cow it raised the loader, it all worked and once I realized I had put the hi low selector in neutral to pull it out of the barn and stuck it back into gear it started moving as it’s supposed to.

So again Thanks to everyone who helped!
Janet

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #22  
I want to first thank everyone for thier patients, understanding and help! It is very much appreciated!

After opening the drain plug on the very rear I barely got any fluid to drain at all, about a pint then just a very slow dribble.
Knowing it takes a lot of fluid as I have watched him just pour from a 5 gallon pail I was shocked and dumbfounded at the same time because the dip stick was still showing it was full.

So I searched the closet and office till I found the paperwork and manuals that came with it. Dummy me should have looked first in his old file cabinet. There it was under the J files along with every other piece of paper from every John Deere he ever owned. My lord I don’t think he ever threw anything away!

Anyway I found there is a second drain plug on the side of the transaxle and once I opened it everything drained fairly quickly. A little messy as I could only find a 5 gallon pail and an old hot baloghny jar so I used what I had and made my sister cover the hole with her finger when the jar was full then dumped it into the pail.

I know now why he has so many tools because that filter for the pick up didn’t. Want to budge after getting the cover off and I cut my finger trying. Searched the toolboxes and found a real nifty little thing that puts outward pressure when you squeeze it that fit right in there and it just pulled out with no problem.

The filter was covered in a thick gooey silverish sludge and something told me the filter change was due in Dec. 2021 not just done.
So I headed into town and purchased an other filter after using the parts washer on this one, figured I best replace the other one again. Holy S that filter costs more by itself then one can imagine! Is there a cheaper source?

Anyway back to the tractor replaced the filter again, installed the pick up screen as it’s been referred to after blowing it dry from the inside out with the low pressure air line he has. If I read the gauge correctly it was set at 20 psi so I hope that didn’t hurt anything. I was worried that the stuff from the parts washer would contaminate the hydraulic fluid.

After tightening everything back up and cursing like a sailor as I balanced myself on a chair trying to pour 4.75 gallons of hydraulic fluid into a poorly fitting funnel without spilling it all over the place. I let it sit for a while for the fluid to settle, then topped it off to replace what ended up on the floor.

Once it was full, I crossed my fingers, started it up and held my breath as I pulled on the joystick and Holy Cow it raised the loader, it all worked and once I realized I had put the hi low selector in neutral to pull it out of the barn and stuck it back into gear it started moving as it’s supposed to.

So again Thanks to everyone who helped!
Janet

You did it all exactly right! Congrats! I wish the kids that worked for me were half as good as you.

Yes, when it comes to spin-on replaceable filters, the hydraulic filter can cost 10x what an engine oil filter costs - and from the outside they look nearly the same. So you got the right one. I wouldn't use a cheaper filter on that particular transmission. Just change it every decade.
rScotty

PS. the slime on the filter is what happens to transmission oil when rainwater runs down the shifter and finds its way into the transmission/hydraulics. Not a problem until it clogs. But throw a tarp over it when it rains..

Last edited:
   / JOhn Deere won’t move #23  
Janet... (y)

/ JOhn Deere won’t move
You did it all exactly right! Congrats! I with the kids that worked for me were half as good as you.
rScotty
Thank You again for the suggestions and help. I updated the other post also.

It usually gets parked inside, but was left outside for awhile. I am assuming that’s when that may have happened.

I also am wondering if cleaning this pick up tube filter is something that gets done with every filter change or if it’s one of those things that gets done every couple times. Mainly because I have never seen him do this but honestly haven’t been there every time he changed fluids or the other filter.

I do know that he says sometimes things just need the filter changed and other times they need both the fluid and filter. How that gets applied to everything I would have no clue.

Janet

Last edited:
   / JOhn Deere won’t move #25  
Good job! (y)

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #26  
Glad you got it fixed up and working! Sometimes it is just the simplest thing.....

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #27  
Janet
Great job on sticking with it till done and appreciate you letting us know what the problem was.

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #28  
Nice job, I’m glad you got it working. I’m 6 feet tall and my tractor is smaller and I can barely get a 5 gallon jug up and dumped in my tractor.

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #29  
As some might already know I am stuck doing all the chores while my husband is away taking care of a sick family member. I don’t want to bother him with problems and issues that arise here on the home front. So I have started posting on some of the sites he frequents to try and attain some help and insight with things I am not that great with.

This morning as I started to get ready fo a day of cleaning up along the tree line with one of our tractors it just didn’t want to cooperate. It’s a John Deere 755 that we have had for many years and is the smallest of them. We use it for cleaning up the tree line out back because it’s able to get in between trees and such that the others simply don’t fit and works great for picking up the fallen branches and rip out excess overgrowth with the grapple.

Anyway this morning I hooked up our dump trailer and parked out back, went to the barn and when I started the tractor it wasn’t working as it normally does. The loader seemed to hesitate and rise in a bouncing manner. Before it even reached a height good to clear as you back out, just quit moving completely. I tried moving it and it started to move then shuddered and stopped.

I guess I am hoping it’s something simple that Can be fixed easy, but just have no clue where to start. My guess is I won’t be able to fix it without help from someone that is better with tools. So I guess what I’m asking is does anyone have a clue what might be possible causes or has it just outlived itself?
Leave it alone? Call the local young lad that is willing to try and fix anything and give some Ideas on what needs done? Use one of the other tractors to push it onto a trailer and haul it to the dealership, and pray they use some Vaseline when they screw me you know where?

If I had at least an idea of what could be wrong it would be an easy choice.

Thank You for any help
Janet
Should say positive connection like a drive shaft.

Last edited: