Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
I was looking for something entirely different and stumbled on this picture:

MQJOSBWYXVFF3IWSOIWENCYJSA.jpg

MQJOSBWYXVFF3IWSOIWENCYJSA.jpg

/ One Heckuva Crane! #2  
Cranes are amazing. During our shutdowns/rebuilds I have seen 600 ton crawler cranes and one worked at our mill for a month with a million pounds of counter weight. Watching them work was amazing but seeing them transported in in pieces and assembled was even more amazing to me.

/ One Heckuva Crane! #4  
Which cost more, the bridge, or the bridge placement? :)

Bruce

/ One Heckuva Crane! #5  
Prep needed to tear down transport and setup again must be mine boggling at times.

/ One Heckuva Crane! #6  
Prep needed to tear down transport and setup again must be mine boggling at times.

I had a 300 ton crane for lifting a tilt up at one of my high school gymnasiums. It required 17 semi loads to deliver to the site and 2 smaller cranes and 5 days to assemble. Same to disassemble and transport off.

/ One Heckuva Crane! #7  

I had a 300 ton crane for lifting a tilt up at one of my high school gymnasiums. It required 17 semi loads to deliver to the site and 2 smaller cranes and 5 days to assemble. Same to disassemble and transport off.
How long ago was that?
300 ton crane to set bridge beam last year self assembled. Hydraulic crane, lots of semi loads for counterweights
passed a 500 ton crane on highway today. Travels without its boom or any counterweights

/ One Heckuva Crane! #8  
How long ago was that?
300 ton crane to set bridge beam last year self assembled. Hydraulic crane, lots of semi loads for counterweights
passed a 500 ton crane on highway today. Travels without its boom or any counterweights
About 15 years ago. The big issue was about 250’ of stick.

/ One Heckuva Crane! #9  
They used one like the one on the right side of the picture a couple of years ago when they set the prefab concrete bridge beams for the overpass on the new bypass in Goshen. The beams were 165 feet long and weighed about 114 tons. The crane had the same wings on the boom and was a 250 ton Liebherr. There was a Grove that handled one end of the beams and the Liebherr handled the other end.

Attachments

• IMG_20170728_131205516.jpg
    IMG_20170728_131205516.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20170731_140303040.jpg
    IMG_20170731_140303040.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
   / One Heckuva Crane! #10  
I like the Liebherr video of a crane picking up a crane, picking up a crane, picking up a crane, about 5 cranes. Thats a lot of engineering. 🍻