422 fan thermostat / fuse

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse #1  

ldabe

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-422 2002 Robin eng.
My fuse (15 A) keeps blowing when I run my PT, thus not turning on the cooling fan to cool the engine.
Anyone know of a reason they think of why it is doing that?
Thanks in advance for all replies.

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse #2  
Off of the top of my head, I can think of a couple.
Fan motor dying?
Bad crimp/connector?
Wire shorting to ground somewhere?
And perhaps even a bad/corroded fuse holder?

I suspect that it is time to get out the old volt meter and start tracing the circuit from the fuse to fan.

The PT fan control is a thermal switch, similar to what are used in electric dryers, and they do wear out, but that shouldn't normally short to ground. "Normally". Personally, I think that the switch ought to control a relay that turns on the fan, but I do recognize that adds cost.

All the best,

Peter

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse
Thanks Peter (ponytug) I appreciate your reply very much. I will get out the volt meter and see what I can find.

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse #4  
Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse #5  
My fuse (15 A) keeps blowing when I run my PT, thus not turning on the cooling fan to cool the engine.
Anyone know of a reason they think of why it is doing that?
Thanks in advance for all replies.
The thermal switch in mine went bad and the pto switch was on its last... I replaced them with a 3 position switch on the dash. Now I control the fan.

Off, on (fan only), on fan+pto

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse #6  
Take a stick or screwdriver and see if you can spin the fan blades by hand (with the unit off, of course!). I had a slight dent in my plastic fan shroud that prevented the blades from turning, which caused fan motor to draw a bunch of current, which caused the fuse to blow as soon as the thermostat told it to come on.

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse #7  
You can also put an amp meter on and see if you what the draw from the fan is, does it do it instantly or does it pop while you are running and moving, that can help you decide if it is a bad fan motor or maybe a chaffed wire. The thermal switch isnt that expensive and when i changed mine it was bery loose not tight at all but is working well now i replaced it. Whoever had it before me put a switch in, so i left is in as well as utilizing the temp switch just incase the temp switch goes bad again i can turn fan on with the switch and keep working untill i am done ( also untill i can get another temp switch in )

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse
I hooked the battery directly to the fan wires, and it attempted slightly to move. I did what MossRoad suggested and manually moved the fan then connected batter power back up, and viola! It worked!
I connected and disconnected the power several times and it continued to operate.
I have not had opportunity to run/work the PT yet to see if it blows the fuse or if the thermal switch is bad.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Btw, besides possibly forgetting to turn the fan on, what if any would be a negative in wiring to a manual switch to turn the fan on when starting the motor up?

/ 422 fan thermostat / fuse #9  
Any negative beyond forgetting to turn the fan on? To me that is a show stopper. You could fry pretty much everything.

If you want to change the wiring, how about the doing reverse, and wiring the fan to be always on?

All the best,

Peter