Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO

/ Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO #1  

koakley255

Tractor
JD 1025R; Ford 660; Farmall
Hi,

I'm trying to understand PTO HP and the minimum requirements of an implement. I'm not having luck finding much on the interwebs. Specifically, I am looking at a Brown 416 rotary cutter to put on the back of my John Deere 4052M. I like the idea of a 6 foot cutter behind my 6 foot wide tractor. The rated PTO of the John Deere is 39.9. The minimum requirement of the Brown 416 is 40 PTO HP. The lift capacity of the JD is about 2200 pounds. The weight of the 415 is about 1200 pounds.

I have no idea if pushing the edge of minimum PTO of your tractor could have any adverse effect on the tractor or the rotary cutter. I simply don't understand the relationship between the two to know. I'll be using the cutter in pasture land but also some fire roads on some timber land which is where I'll need the toughness of the Brown cutter.

I realize there are plenty of cutter options out there that would work with my tractor. I'm focused on the Brown because I want to buy one cutter forever. So if there is a way to make that work, that would be ideal. Any advice and knowledgeable explanation would be helpful.

Kevin

/ Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO #2  
I think you'll be fine...at most, you may have to slow down on occasion.
I have a 4052R...and the PTO HP is rated at 40 PTO HP. My experience with Deere suggests they tend to rate PTO HP lower than it actually is.
I'm also looking for a 6' rotary cutter...Brown is nice, but I need a lighter duty cutter. I'll be buying used...

Last edited:
   / Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO #3  
I'm not so sure how that tractor is going to handle that cutter waaay out back when you lift it?

You won't hurt the cutter, but I'm not so sure about the tractor if you get rough with it.

SR

/ Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO #4  
I'm not so sure how that tractor is going to handle that cutter waaay out back when you lift it?

You won't hurt the cutter, but I'm not so sure about the tractor if you get rough with it.

SR
With front ballast (loader or weights), it'll handle the cutter easily...but like any implement, use a degree of common sense, especially when turning

/ Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO #5  
Brown is the one cutter I would get if I needed a cutter. You will find out in a hurry if you need front ballast. If the cutting gets tough - just cut a narrower path. You can't go wrong with a Brown.

/ Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO #6  
We own both a Brown 415 and a 416. Best you can buy. The last one you will ever need to buy for sure. With a 40 horse tractor you definitely want the 415 which weighs 900 lbs. It will struggle with a 416 which weighs 1200 pounds and really needs 50+ for easy use

/ Understanding PTO HP and minimum implement PTO #7  
Think about it. If they expect you to pull a 6’ mower through x” tall thick grass at y miles per hour (with average sharp blades). Physics (and they say) you need 40hp.

Horsepower is a measure of speed. It’s a measure of how much of an area you can cut in a set amount of time. If you encounter worse conditions you either can slow down, or don’t take a full 6’ wide cut, to lower your area-per-time rate (and required horsepower).

Having a 40hp min rating on mower also probably means the pto slip clutch or shear bolt on the implements is set to protect a mower that can handle 40, 50, 85 (?) horsepower from the tractor.
Granted, slip clutches and shear bolts are more for “impact” type whack protection than smooth horsepower being transmitted, but I believe there is some overlap in sizing.
That is, I’d set my slip clutch on the loose side to protect the 39hp tractor pto gears from impact loads, than perhaps the higher cranked down (factory?) setting for running the mower on a 85hp tractor.
That being said, sometimes the rear end and pto they put in the 39hp tractor is the same rear end as the 65 hp tractor.