Cutting up white oak tree

/ Cutting up white oak tree #41  
Sharpen the tooth so it is more perpendicular to the bar. Don't completely eliminate a point, but don't make the point do the whole lead.

Sounds like a rip chain?

/ Cutting up white oak tree #43  
Chain didnt last long on this.
A couple of things.
I had some tree work done and told 'em to let the carcasses lie whee they were. I got to 'em a couple of years later and the sand that got in the bark destroyed my chains so bad I'd make three cuts and have to resharpen. So I got a carbide blade and all was good.
So it could be abrasive material.

After 2008 I bought a telescoping pole limbing saw a Stihl. It was entirely incapable of lubricating the bar.
I took it back to the dealer and was told that the then federal administration had created an insane policy that throttled back all chain oilers.
So I took to using some 5-weight oil in my bar oiler.

/ Cutting up white oak tree #45  
I've done it more than once.
But I was just testing an advanced new law of astrophysics.

How advanced?
It’s one thing to get a 2 cycle to run backwards so your chain works.

…but it’s a whole other level to get it to run backwards, extracting CO2 and H20 from the air through the muffler, recombining it into O2 that exits the air filter while CH4’s (oil and gas) fills the saw’s gas tank back up.
…all the while cutting your wood with a backwards chain. You’d really have something! How can I invest?

/ Cutting up white oak tree #46  
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the fruits of my labor from this past Saturday. We had a storm come through where I am in VA and it took out a couple trees. I have a Sthl 271 and an older 023 that I used for this. The 271 has a 20" bar on it. one of the twin branches broke off during the storm and lodged itself onto another tree on the opposite side of a walking path that we have in the woods - bummer cause we loved the tree. At any rate, I needed to take that branch off the rest of the way. That was a bit tricky since it was about 7 ft up still attached to the tree. Anyway, I did go through a couple chains getting it all done on Saturday. There was no smoking or catching fire 😆

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg