Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #41  
It always takes a tractor with sufficient tractive effort (weight) and sufficient balls to pull a pan.
With enough traction and balls, it can pull a pan. A CUT isn't going to pull a pan. I can make a JD 6420 spin all tires with a 4 yard Reynolds pan.

CT

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator
Thanks for all the helpful comments. I decided to buy the tractor (picked up yesterday), but not the backhoe attachment. I will likely fabricate a special digging bucket, and also rent an excavator as needed.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #43  
Congrats. Now we need Pics!!! Enjoy the machine. You are going to be having a lot of fun.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #44  
Congrats on the new tractor! Just for info.... if there aren't any pictures, it didn't happen! Plus we all like tractor pictures.....

I know, it's too clean....

Attachments

• 20220730_124430.jpg
    20220730_124430.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 63
Also, my tractor came with a KL4030C loader, which is apparently the Canadian version? It's very similar to the KL4030, but with greater rollback force and less reach. If anyone has any info about that I'd be interested to hear. I also started a new thread about the loader:

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #47  
With enough traction and balls, it can pull a pan. A CUT isn't going to pull a pan. I can make a JD 6420 spin all tires with a 4 yard Reynolds pan.

CT

The self propelled dirt pans that are already a behemoth of a machine frequently have dozers pushing them.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #48  
I need help deciding if I should buy a backhoe attachment or just rent a mini excavator. We live on a 10 acre hobby farm in Ohio, and have some flooding issues in part of our yard and apple orchard in the late fall and early spring. I decided to put in a small pond (roughly 60'x30') and some drainage tile to help give the water a place to go.

I got an estimate from a local excavator for $15k-$20k. I decided for that amount I can sell my 90s MF 240 and buy a newer 4wd tractor with a backhoe. I haven't had much luck finding anything decent on the used market, so I started looking at new and settled on the Kioti CK2610HST as the just right size for my needs. My dealer is offering me $19,950 for the tractor and loader, or $27,750 with the backhoe.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
My plan would be to use the backhoe for a year or two while I build the pond and do a few other jobs I have in mind and then sell it, but keep the tractor. Would I be better off renting a mini excavator to do the pond and not buying the backhoe? Excavator rental would be about $500 per weekend, and I estimate I would need it two or three weekends.

I would be paying cash either way, and I would prefer to buy the backhoe so I can take my time with the pond project, but not if it would be more economical to rent the mini excavator instead of taking the depreciation on the backhoe.
It’s not likely you’ll loose $1500 in the deal and I doubt you can do all the work you’re planning in 3 weekends either.

Last edited:
   / Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #49  
How deep do you want to dig the pond ? I do excavating work and recently we have been doing multiple ponds for flood issues. I can certainly tell you I wouldn’t want to rent a backhoe to dig one. You will burn a hole in your piggy bank. Having full swing , depth , and a large bucket to move material make a world of difference. 60x30 isn’t a puddle. We use anything from a 240s class to large 300 class excavators. Another issue is moving spoils.