Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,211  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,212  
Just close down the ports and factories. They can have all the electricity in the world, and nothing to plug into it. A big slice of humble pie would do them good.

We can do business with Canada. Your ports can't seem to keep up anyway.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,213  
That's like the ubiquitous "Which diesel oil is the best for my tractor?" threads. I have a standard answer. New oil is the best.
It may be that NO engine oil is better than any engine oil. :)

Regular Oil changes are not part of the EV revolution. Teslas do have oil pumps and filters. Leafs have a 3 pint capacity to change around 100K miles.

When our front cap was missing we cleaned the 2 magnets and drained the 3 pints of standard ATF at 37K miles for the first and last time hopefully.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,214  
I disagree, all power companies trade power back and forth across states and regions so far as I'm concerned, it's a national grid and most of it is marginal.
I think Texas made a condition of their closed grid and warped economics that outside power was not allowed.

Appears in Texas one contracts to purchase electric power from one of many vendors who deliver over the same grid connected to your home. That they pay somebody for building and maintaining the wire. They buy electricity and have it fed into the grid. And somehow Texas balances payments between those who feed the grid and those who draw from the grid. Where it is likely every house on the same street pays a different rate and schedule for electric power. Some pay a higher base rate but have a lower maximum. Others get the cheapest base rate but no limit to how high the price can soar during high demand.

Never thought anyone could screw things up worse than California.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,215  
It may be that NO engine oil is better than any engine oil. :)

Regular Oil changes are not part of the EV revolution. Teslas do have oil pumps and filters. Leafs have a 3 pint capacity to change around 100K miles.

When our front cap was missing we cleaned the 2 magnets and drained the 3 pints of standard ATF at 37K miles for the first and last time hopefully.
My Tesla is spec'ed for oil change every 4 years. Have no idea what oil it uses.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,217  
I bet it uses transformer oil with a high dielectric resistance, just no PCB's...lol
The motor is not immersed in oil, it runs dry. There is a 9:1 differential that requires lubrication. I have another 3 years before I start worrying about my 12 year service.

edit: Prius motors are bathed in gear oil. Tesla, not.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,218  
The Tesla that launched today's EV revolution and one is doing space travel currently.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,219  
I think Texas made a condition of their closed grid and warped economics that outside power was not allowed.

Appears in Texas one contracts to purchase electric power from one of many vendors who deliver over the same grid connected to your home. That they pay somebody for building and maintaining the wire. They buy electricity and have it fed into the grid. And somehow Texas balances payments between those who feed the grid and those who draw from the grid. Where it is likely every house on the same street pays a different rate and schedule for electric power. Some pay a higher base rate but have a lower maximum. Others get the cheapest base rate but no limit to how high the price can soar during high demand.

Never thought anyone could screw things up worse than California.
Not true for all of Texas. Every house on my street and in my town pays the same rate for electricity. We only had rolling blackouts 2 hours on, 2 hours off, for 2 days during a very cold week in February 2021, Temps were 0˚F to 30˚F. We have not lost power since then. Please don't compare us to California.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,220  
Please don't compare us to California.
:LOL::LOL::cool:
"More than 360,000 people left California in 2021, in what some are calling “The California Exodus” — many leaving for states like Texas, Arizona and Washington." CNBC 6/11/22

"More people move to Texas from California than any other state. But... why? 37 percent of Californians say they've seriously considered leaving because of high housing costs. Texas doesn't have that problem." WFAA News 8

When I moved to PA from NJ the neighbor said "Great, another damn NJ liberal!!" I assured him I moved to get away from NJ, not bring it with me. For your states sake I hope those leaving Kali to Texas are not bringing LaLa Land to you.