Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property?

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #61  
50k for sewer hookup in a rural area sounds like they don't have a lot of homeowners to spread the cost around for running the sewer line...or does some friend of a friend of a friend have a lucrative installation contract?

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #62  
Buddy of mine in CA has had enough and he has his house for sale in Pleasanton. It's 1,700 square feet, on a 7,000 square foot lot, for $1.7 million. It's nice enough, but nothing special. I just can't imagine why anybody would spend that much money for it. Then what will the property taxes be?

If it sells for that price taxes will be about 13,700 a year according to zillow. A big jump from the current 3700.

California's prop 9 from 1976 put a limit on tax increases as long as the property does not change hands. It was sold as letting granny stay in her house but it also has the effects of pushing the tax burden onto new younger home owners and from corporations (who sell less often) onto homeowners.

Pleasanton's got a nice small town downtown. There's a lot of employers moving into that area and it's within commuting distance of Silicon Valley and even San Francisco if you don't have to go in every day. I know a number of people who have left in the last few years but there's a lot of people who want to come here to work high paying jobs. Yes having a housing market with prices so high makes for a lot of problems, but that's what it is.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #63  
It’s all area dependent on how things are taxed on your property. If you get a new truck and park it at home, your property taxes don’t go up. Some places treat something like a cell tower that way. Other places raise your property taxes.

I have a cell tower about a mile from my house. It’s pretty unobtrusive. The access road is about 10 feet wide and the footprint is minimal. I also know someone who has one on his property which is commercial property. He calls it his oil well.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #64  
Great income. Make sure the compensation has an increase every year, otherwise the time value of money will make you nothing of value. Get an attorney as you're talking about millions of dollars over the lifetime. The downside will be the number of companies that will continually try to buy out your lease.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property?
So it would be a 400 square feet area and a 50' fake tree tower.

5 year term with four 5 year renewal options with 2% annual rent increase... total lease term with all options is 25.

Access on perimeter farm road and gravel purchased and spread as needed for all weather access...

More to follow.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property?
It should qualify for Wilson act protection.
It doesn't... tried to go that way and county has minimum acre for new addition.

A friend in Alameda has quite a nice setup on less land but different county... old home, 10,000 square feet first class AG barn and average under $1000 per year prop tax.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #67  
As others have mentioned, he should consult an attorney and definitely address the decommissioning issues. If the company pulls out, leaves, stops using it, etc, who’s responsible for the tower?

I used to know the guy that owned this tower company.

Did a bit of business with him at my old job to rent tower space to get internet across the state line wirelessly to avoid paying tariffs had we used land lines.

He owned a dozen or so towers, and rented to cell phone companies, businesses, governments, etc.

So is the entity approaching your brother a cell phone company that will only have their equipment on site, or someone that just rents tower space to whomever needs it?
I know him as well..... it was more than a dozen towers if I recall.... he did QUITE well when selling the business to someone larger in the industry.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #68  
Oof, I wouldn't do it. The income might sound nice, but unless you lawyer up first, it might end up a free pass for them to build a wide road to the large tower site and utilities going in any direction they want.

Unless you're talking about 250+ acres and it can be close to a mile from your relative's house. The increased radiation is likely measureable.
Also, he may have to move once his neighbors catch wind of it...

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #69  
Check into tax aspect also. County might tax the land different, be sure tower company responsible for tax increase.

Might not be able to build under it.

$2500 today is a lot less than $2500 1 yr ago, include a yearly increase.

You will get hounded by companies, some very unethical, about buying the revenue stream.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #70  
Check into tax aspect also. County might tax the land different, be sure tower company responsible for tax increase.

Might not be able to build under it.

$2500 today is a lot less than $2500 1 yr ago, include a yearly increase.

You will get hounded by companies, some very unethical, about buying the revenue stream.
Cell towers are built to collapse onto them selves. But it is a good idea to not build within its radius just incase.