Road transport of 10-12' disk?

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
The SIL is getting ~38 acres this spring and is already talking about tilling for food plots, etc... Looks like I'll have a chance to actually put my Allis D17 (Series III) to work. I haven't seen the place yet. I told him to maybe contract someone for any major tillage or spraying then we can take it from there. I can trailer a 3 bottom plow, but If I buy a 10 - 12' disk, chisel plow or similar large (to me anyway) implement, how do I transport it if it's more than 10 miles away?

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #2  
Would this be a towable disc? If so, hitch it up to your pickup and go. Make sure you have a slow moving vehicle sign on the disc. If it's 3 point, that might change things. What kind of trailer do you have? If it was me, I'd set up the trailer so that I can transport the disc on it. It'd hang off the sides of course, but same deal. Put a SMV sign on it and go. Or bite the bullet and make the drive with the disc on the tractor. This is all assuming that you're driving on fairly rural roads. Obviously won't work if you're on highways or driving through the city.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #3  
10 or 12 foot wide disc can be pulled down a road without special over width permits in farm country. Would have to check local rules for hauling on trailer to see if over width permit is required.

Ten miles with D17 should be easy drive.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk?
I'm just starting to look at what's for sale nearby, so I'm getting prepared. I have an 18' car trailer, so it could go on sideways, but getting it on/off would be an adventure. I've gone around lots of towed implements, but I've never scoped out what/how big the thing was. I've seen tractors and pickups both, as tow veh. I don't have a pintil hitch. I'd rather just hook it up and tow. Very rural, out here.

Thanks.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #7  
Long ago there were lots of these implement carriers around, some up to 40 feet long. Now mostly seen in the weeds out of the way.

Bruce

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #8  
Long ago there were lots of these implement carriers around, some up to 40 feet long. Now mostly seen in the weeds out of the way.

Bruce
That appears to be designed to have the implement suspended between the wheels? If so, it doesn't seem like that'd work so great with something that's already 12 ft wide...... It say's "11' implement carrier". Pretty sure that's the length, not width.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #9  
That appears to be designed to have the implement suspended between the wheels? If so, it doesn't seem like that'd work so great with something that's already 12 ft wide...... It say's "11' implement carrier". Pretty sure that's the length, not width.
You load wide implements crosswise in them, so the wide dimension is parallel to the road.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #10  
You load wide implements crosswise in them, so the wide dimension is parallel to the road.
I presume you then either remove or fold up the tongue so that it does not stick out. Just curious since I have never seen an implement mover like that or had no clue in what I was looking at.