Road transport of 10-12' disk?

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #11  
You load wide implements crosswise in them, so the wide dimension is parallel to the road.
A 10-12 ft. disc is going to be longer than between the wheels on that though. Gotta be at least 9'-10' long with the tongue, probably more, I would think, no? I'm not sure I guess. I've never used a disc that small.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #12  
I presume you then either remove or fold up the tongue so that it does not stick out. Just curious since I have never seen an implement mover like that or had no clue in what I was looking at.
Do smaller discs like that have removable tongues? That thing looks like it's military surplus. Looks handy, but I'm sorta thinking that things like discs weren't what it was designed to move?

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #13  
I remember drop deck trailers for moving equipment. The trailer deck rolled or slid off the frame. You then put the implement on the deck. Hooked tractor up to trailer frame and slid or rolled deck back onto the frame. We had one for our disc that I am guessing was around 8 ft wide pull type but was not on wheels. Been close to 55 - 60 years since used it so don’t recall exactly what trailer was called.

Blueknife
I know our disk did not have fold up or easily removed tongue.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #14  
Just curious since I have never seen an implement mover like that or had no clue in what I was looking at.
The were common in the farming area of northern California when I grew up in the 1950's and 60's. There is also a four-wheel style that's quite a lot longer. At that time there it was common for farmers to lease fields some distance apart, so a way of transporting implements was needed.

The implements were considerably smaller than many used today, and the idea of self-folding rubber-tired implements was decades away.

I wanted to use ours to help a friend move an old car he had bought, but my Dad would have none of it. As agricultural tools they didn't need annoying stuff like brakes, lights, or licenses, and he didn't want to risk being caught using it for a non-agricultural purpose.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #15  
   / Road transport of 10-12' disk?
   / Road transport of 10-12' disk? #17  
With it being only 10 miles I would just drive it over with the tractor. Make sure there is an SMV sign on the implement, the tires are good, transport axle is greased, and stay off the interstate. A 10' disc is only 1.5' to 2' wider than a normal trailer so it will fit on most roads just fine. Its an easy 30 minute jaunt, trying to trailer it would be way more work and effort. If OP was talking 30 miles it would be different.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #18  
Hook to the tractor and go. Any transport disk you will find "should" have a set up to pin it in transport mode in case a hose, or hydraulic connection failure allowing it to drop. You can always get some red flags to put on the outside corners for width visibility if in a high traffic area. Watch out for mailboxes..!! In most states drivers are supposed to yield to farm equipment, but people seem to be in such a hurry these days or distracted with their phone etc. they don't seem to pay a lot of attention. Be prepared to do some defensive driving yourself.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #19  
Aren't 10 and 12' getting kind of big for 63hp? Even with 8' I have to get a running start with my 63hp before dropping the disc. Because of road nuisance I only use a 10' (with 20" discs) on the 135hp. No clipped mailboxes or cars hitting it.

/ Road transport of 10-12' disk? #20  
My perspective comes from Oklahoma running 130hp~155hp John Deere tractors. The 20' disc folded up was ~14' folded for road transport and even on those big tractors was a handful on public roads with no one them but me because it had terrible 'road manners'.

Our 32' cultivator was ~16' wide as well and was much better on the public roads because it towed so much better and weighed a lot less.

One field was 17 miles away from almost everything else we had too! Personally, I never really had much of an issue "roading" the tractor and implement but, road signs and mailboxes need attention and bridges were always a crapshoot with a driver in a hurry (I never understood why they thought they could pass a 14' implement on a 2-lane bridge).

For the OP: Personally, I think transporting on the road behind your tractor is not a big deal. Especially if you avoid high-traffic periods like school bus routes and the morning and evening rush.

Personally, I bet a Sunday morning trip each way would be pretty uneventful assuming you miss mailbox and road signs along your journey. I would pull over occasionally to let cars pass if you have people following your tractor. If the roads you travel have a shoulder, it will be even easier!!!

Lastly, don't buy more disc than you can really pull. 10'~12' feet with your tractor sounds too big to me not knowing your field conditions which is a big factor.