Question on an equipment purchase

/ Question on an equipment purchase #1  

MGP4506

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 55
Question on buying a new piece of equipment. What do you think is more important: 1. The brand of the equipment (Cat, John Deere, Kabota, Case...)? OR 2. How close the dealer for parts and service is to you?

I am looking at a new / use excavator and I have always used Cat or John Deer however I am moving, and the closest dealer is 1.5hrs away for both. There is a BobCat dealer 5 min. away and another off brad 20 min. away. In all my years I have never used a BobCat and I heard mix reviews. Basically you like them or you don't. I do like having a dealer close by for parts and service but I know Cat and JD very well and never had an issue getting a part or a tech if needed.

/ Question on an equipment purchase #2  
You missed parts availability. It doesnt matter if you have a dealer close if they dont have the parts to begin with. Many smaller brand dealers have this issue...and that is why I went with Kubota. For me I wanted a good dealer with good service and a good parts network.

I would not buy a bobcat personally. I am an hour away from town for groceries....so 1.5 hours for heavy equipment dealer isnt a big deal to me. I would say go with JD or Cat.

/ Question on an equipment purchase #3  
I would say "Option 3"

Having a GOOD dealer nearby. Just because a tractor has a certain color paint on it, does NOT mean the dealer is any good.

When I was tractor shopping, both the Kubota and the Deere dealers nearest me were complete garbage. I wouldn't go back and have dealings with either one of those again.

/ Question on an equipment purchase
You missed parts availability. It doesnt matter if you have a dealer close if they dont have the parts to begin with. Many smaller brand dealers have this issue...and that is why I went with Kubota. For me I wanted a good dealer with good service and a good parts network.

I would not buy a bobcat personally. I am an hour away from town for groceries....so 1.5 hours for heavy equipment dealer isnt a big deal to me. I would say go with JD or Cat.
Good point on part availability. I have a New Holland farm tractor and In my current area the Kabota / New Holland dealer is the same. It is a large dealer but for parts for the New Holland unless the part matches a Kubota part then they have to order it.

/ Question on an equipment purchase
I would say "Option 3"

Having a GOOD dealer nearby. Just because a tractor has a certain color paint on it, does NOT mean the dealer is any good.

When I was tractor shopping, both the Kubota and the Deere dealers nearest me were complete garbage. I wouldn't go back and have dealings with either one of those again.
Unfortunately I am moving to a new area and haven't had dealings with any of the dealers. Where I am at the JD and Cat dealer is great and no issues with NH / Kabota. The Case dealer on the other hand I wouldn't recommend to my enemies. That is not saying Case isn't good but the dealership sucks.

/ Question on an equipment purchase #6  
I’m always impressed with the parts my John Deere dealer carries and has in stock. Sometimes the low cost impresses me and sometimes a $3 part costs $10. If you don’t make a living with your machine immediate parts availability seems less important since you can order them and have them delivered. If you work on your own equipment service is less important.

/ Question on an equipment purchase #7  
I would say "Option 3"

Taking that one step further, if you DO buy from the nearby dealer and you end up in a urinating match with them, then you are stuck with them for years.
I like buying a brand where there’s more than one dealer nearby that carries that brand.

/ Question on an equipment purchase #8  
I like buying a brand where there’s more than one dealer nearby that carries that brand.
That's an interesting concept. :)

We'd like to have more than one dealer at all in the whole county, let alone multiple dealers of multiple brands.