1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #1  

KBA CPA

Tractor
TBD
I’m in the market for a 35 HP tractor and I’ve done a lot of research as a first time buyer.

The tractor will mostly being used for dirt work around the house (2 flat acres) and lifting items with the FEL. I also have 100 acres of hunting property to brush hog roads/shooting lanes, and plant about 5 acres of food plots.

Dealers seem to be a hot topic when it comes to tractors so I’ve narrowed it down to these, their time selling the tractors and distance from me.

YT235 - 2 dealers (1 has been selling Yanmar for 8 years and is 25 miles away, they only sale yanmar products). Other one is 40 miles away, didn’t get details on selling time

Kioti ck3520SE - 27 miles away, only been selling Kioti for 8 months.

Kubota L3302 (or L3902) - 2 dealerships within 20 miles. Been selling as long as I can remember.

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #2  
Welcome to TBN
Personally I think Kubota is the 'Honda' gold standard of small tractors. They have been around a long time and their product has proven reliability and longevity. I would look at a larger tractor for that much property. GL in your search.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #3  
I agree with Scooter’s recommendation for a larger tractor because of the 100 acre hunting property and your intended uses there. All of those tractors are solid choices and Yanmar has some really nice machines. I am partial to my MX6000 Kubota and think a machine in that size class would be better for your uses.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #4  
Can't speak to Kioti as I've never owned one.

I've owned a Yanmar226d for about 30 years. Very well made and trouble free. Added a Kubota L2501 in 2022 to get 4wd and a FEL with quick attach. Also well made and trouble free at 200 hours.

In my area, there are more Kubota dealers than Yanmar dealers, and that stems from Yanmar having pulled out of the US market back in the 1980s whereas Kubota has been building their USA dealer network all that time.

Although you mentioned having 100 acres, you didn't say how much you will be mowing. 35hp will operate a 5' cutter which at a 4 mph pace would mean the ability to cut 2.18 acres per hour. A larger tractor with more HP can cut a larger width saving time. That's why I bought a MX5200 in 2023.

You also don't mention if your land is hilly. The MX series is much more stable on hills than the L series, IMO. So you now have three MX owners already recommending that you consider an MX for your property.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #5  
Plus one on the MX5200. Remember the MX line up all have the heavier rear end than the L series. Fill the tires and/or add wheel weights for additional stability. I use a 7 ft Bestco flail mower with an offset on mine.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #6  
Although you mentioned having 100 acres, you didn't say how much you will be mowing. 35hp will operate a 5' cutter which at a 4 mph pace would mean the ability to cut 2.18 acres per hour. A larger tractor with more HP can cut a larger width saving time. That's why I bought a MX5200 in 2023.
I would be shocked at a 35hp tractor mowing two acres an hour unless it’s a lawn.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #7  
Personally, I would be looking at used... something without computer, electronic control module or whatever the fancy crap is... seen too many threads about tractor throwing codes and whatnot. If you can work on / repair your own tractor, I would look at used.

You don't list your location... so not sure if used tractors are hard to come by in your area.

Also, when you budget for a tractor, you need to include the cost of implements in the final budget. Don't buy the biggest tractor and not have money left over for a grapple (with hydraulics), mower, top-N-tilt hydraulics, etc. etc...

Last edited:
   / 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #8  
I would be shocked at a 35hp tractor mowing two acres an hour unless it’s a lawn.
That is the estimated mowing speed based on ground speed and cutting width, but I agree with you that whether someone can actually cut at 4 mph depends on terrain and how tall and how thick the vegetation is. The actual acres cut per hour may be less. Acres Per Hour Calculator

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #9  
SNIP.......

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.
Sure, lots of Yanmar and Kubota owners here - as well as many other brands.

But not sure that tells the story. Tractors haven't changed much in the last 30 years or so - certainly not much in the last 15. EXCEPT that about ten years ago they were required to meet a whole different and much more difficult emissions standards. Tractors built since about 2012/2014 tend to have many more pollution control devices, computer controls instead of mechanical, and are operated at a higher RPM than the pre-Tier IV tractors.

Regardless, there probably won't be any repair work. Tractors that are cared for tend to last decades.
But if you have mechanical knowledge you are in a good position to buy used - lots of good buys on the ten year and older used market right now. You could get a 60/70 hp tractor with a larger frame and more comfort for much less than the cost of a new 35 hp.

I found it helpful to include some tractor seat time with my internet research. It sure changed my mind about the tractors.
rScotty

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #10  
I'd typically love to steer you towards Kioti, and the CK series are their bread and butter, but I'd want to know more about the dealer. 8 months is a very short period of time, yet you've got to start somewhere. What was the impression you got when you spoke with them? Have you had a chance to visit them?

Have you parked yourself on each machine?

There isn't a bad tractor on your list, it seems like you've done some homework. 🍻