Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,922  
Ash is the only wood I know, that has so little moisture in it during the winter, that it could be burnt unseasoned.
I've always heard that but never found it to be true. I have never intentionally cut it to burn but often will cut a small, 2-4 inch tree to get it out of the way, then throw it onto the fire. Even after a couple of months it still sizzles, like any other green wood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,923  
I won’t miss the ash trees, but I do miss the days when I could work on firewood in the winter. It was nice in the old days, to drag the logs out on frozen ground, with no mud or rutting. Our ground didn’t freeze at all last winter and it don’t look good for this one either. This was the view down the back lane yesterday:
IMG_3976.jpeg

I’d love to get at those standing dead ash on the left right now but it probably won’t be dry enough for that until mid June.

I do have a small load of ash logs on my bucking trailer though, that I could work on once I burn up a little more of the seasoned stuff, and feee up some space in the woodshed.
IMG_3232.jpeg

At least the winter mud don’t slow me down at all hauling seasoned firewood up to the house, since I finished the woodshed, with stone driveway to it. It was pretty rough last winter, when I had to carry wood stacked outside under tarps by hand, across the muddy lawn all winter. High winds and deep snow from two blizzards made dealing with those tarps extra special.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,924  
I've always heard that but never found it to be true. I have never intentionally cut it to burn but often will cut a small, 2-4 inch tree to get it out of the way, then throw it onto the fire. Even after a couple of months it still sizzles, like any other green wood.
I never tried it ether, however with those smaller pieces, there’s not enough of a percentage of “heartwood” to burn. The outer layers just under the bark is where the moisture is held. Your results would be different with bigger stuff. Most of the wood that my brother in laws father burnt all winter, was fresh cut live ash, for many years. At least that’s what he always told me.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,925  
I never tried it ether, however with those smaller pieces, there’s not enough of a percentage of “heartwood” to burn. The outer layers just under the bark is where the moisture is held. Your results would be different with bigger stuff. Most of the wood that my brother in laws father burnt all winter, was fresh cut live ash, for many years. At least that’s what he always told me.
I'll have to try it, just for curiosity sake. I plan to cut some logs later this winter, but there's sure to be a bad butt end to chop off.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,927  
Same here. I find it comical when folks get fussy about keeping them all exactly the same length. We have lots of bonfires, but I do try to err on the short side, so that they all fit in the wood stove.
For personal use I feel the same way…if it fits it burns. I am starting to sell wood and it matters to some folks.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,928  
For personal use I feel the same way…if it fits it burns. I am starting to sell wood and it matters to some folks.

Size matters for all kinds of different reasons. For me - my wood shed is 9'-4" inside wall to inside wall. I want to get 6 rows of 18" wood stacked 7' high in there and be stable. If the lengths aren't held pretty close I get a lot of air space, rows that lean, and a pita to stack - searching for the right length stick to fit. It's a lot easier for me to keep the lengths uniform when I cut them.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,930  
Same here. I find it comical when folks get fussy about keeping them all exactly the same length. We have lots of bonfires, but I do try to err on the short side, so that they all fit in the wood stove.
Agreed, the idea of hanging a tool off the side of the chainsaw bar, or meticulously measuring and painting logs, seems pretty ridiculous to me. But different strokes, and whatnot.

You have a nice barn/shed/wood setup! Where's your approx location, to calibrate that "3-1/4 face cords" consumption report? And all wood heat, or do you have some backup in play as well?

Here in southern Michigan I think I'm at the same rate, just over 3 face cords burned through my woodstove thus far. We did use mini-split heat a lot in November/December whenever the ambient temps were up above 40f (quite a bit) which delayed our firewood consumption in the early season.

Our snow piles look like yours also... just the crusty piles remain.