Hog Hunting Public Land

/ Hog Hunting Public Land
What happens when you kill a couple hogs. Is there any use for a dead hog. Do you have predators that will eat the hog OR does it just lie there and rot.

I'm just very fortunate to have no hogs here in N EA WA. Our wild turkeys can tear things up somewhat. Nothing like what you folks show for the hogs in your area.
The hog must be removed from the WMA. You can absolutely eat them, although the opinions are mixed. I've eaten wild hog in the past, as a normal pulled pork, and thought it tasted fine.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #22  
I bought a set of predator lights, Wicked Hunting Lights, that attach to my scope for night hunting. They have green or red led lights and are adjustable for beam width and intensity. They worked fine for my purposes but are not in the same league as thermal. I spent about $300 on the lights, a decent thermal can easily be in the thousands.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #23  
I bought a set of predator lights, Wicked Hunting Lights, that attach to my scope for night hunting. They have green or red led lights and are adjustable for beam width and intensity. They worked fine for my purposes but are not in the same league as thermal. I spent about $300 on the lights, a decent thermal can easily be in the thousands.
Agree. For sitting at a feeder, lots of things will work, even fixed white solar driveway lights in the pen.

This time of year is one of my most productive times for whacking pigs. The deer feeders all begin to run out on the surrounding ranches and the cold temps make the pigs get more active, searching for food. One tactic I use is to corn the ranch roads in strategic places that I can see with the thermal from a distance. Then I'll spend the night going between those places looking for a sounder. When I find one, I'll work from downwind and get right up on them. Then blast away!!

/ Hog Hunting Public Land
The Sitemark Wraith seems to be the cheapest main stream night vision set up.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #25  
What I know about hunting Wild Boar.

1. They are "very" fast.
2. have a better nose than deer.
3. They have very poor eye sight.
4. They travel around a lot.
5. Best tell tale sign is, tearing up an area where they are rooting.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #26  
I must say I find this hog hunting thread really interesting and I hope it goes on for a while. The wild pigs in the US are the same species as the domestic pigs we eat. Every year I roast a pig on a spit. This year will be my 29th pig. I think. It could be my 28th. Anyway, I'm not gonna hunt a pig for the main reason that it would be too much work to get the pig ready for the spit. But I really enjoy reading about how folks are hunting and preparing wild pigs.
Eric

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #27  
I realize it's a popular cocept that feral hogs have poor eyesight. My personal experience is their eyesight is pretty good. They cannot look up so the limited range of mobility in their neck also limits their ability to see things or movement. But that is not the same as having bad or poor eyes.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #28  
The only wild hogs we've had around here were a couple of sows that escaped when I was a kid. They got in the corn field and we couldn't find them for about 3 months. A farmer about a mile away called us when he saw them while he was picking corn and we chased them back home. We made sure the electric fence was in good shape and no more problems.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #29  
National Geographic TV has a show about wild pigs that's really interesting. They have one about eggs that worth seeing too.

One of the things that really surprised me on that show was that when a domestic pig escapes, or is released, and it lives off of the land, it's DNA changes. It actually becomes a different animal!!! It's ears stand up, it's tail straightens out, it grows hair and overall, it physically changes. This only takes a year to happen!!!!

There are no pigs native to North America. Javelina are not part of the pig family.

Pigs have no way of cooling themselves. They do not sweat like some mammals do, and they do not pant, like dogs do to cool off.

The show also talked about their social structure and how quickly they reproduce. It's really a worthwhile show to watch if you are interested in wild pigs.

In the back of my mind, it might of also talked about Hogzilla, and how some pigs can grow to a massive size. There was a lot of information in that show.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #30  
Missouri allows, but discourages shooting hogs.

IMG_2926.JPG