Drawbar towing.

/ Drawbar towing. #71  
W
With no fixed drawbar it could be difficult to get a safety chain on that to prevent the trailer from lifting the lift arms. If you want to see what I mean raise your 3 point all the way up then give a good upward heave on that trailer ball and see what happens.

/ Drawbar towing. #72  
W

With no fixed drawbar it could be difficult to get a safety chain on that to prevent the trailer from lifting the lift arms. If you want to see what I mean raise your 3 point all the way up then give a good upward heave on that trailer ball and see what happens.
Put a chain where the red line is (or farther forward if there are more places on the lower link), on both sides. That should prevent a lift.

limiter.jpeg

Bruce

/ Drawbar towing. #73  
I pull with the standard draw bar that is attached to the rear axle. Why risk potential damage/accidents using a 3-point arm drawbar. And all the other paraphernalia that is needed to help make it safe.

On the other hand - the only thing I have to pull - a farm wagon. The tongue of my farm wagon - attached to a 3-point drawbar - could raise to any height and not be of any concern. My farm wagon tongue is jointed where it attaches to the wagon. Raising the tongue would have no impact on the farm wagon or the tractor.

BTW - after YEARS of practice - I'm finally getting better at backing this wagon.

View attachment 839377
the best thing for backing a farm wagon is A TEAM of HORSES! I have one of the OMNI MFG three point adapters that bolts to the iron drawbar and attaches to the top link. It has a receiver. I have found it to be most satisfactory for everything I use it for. It is solid and not sloppy. Just using a bottom drawbar with ball is pretty bogus IMHO. Using a frame mount draw bar under the tractor works but it doesn't allow real freedom of movement that the assembly does.

Last edited:
   / Drawbar towing. #74  
Put a chain where the red line is (or farther forward if there are more places on the lower link), on both sides. That should prevent a lift.

View attachment 849665

Bruce
I am not seeing how that would limit upward travel of the lift arms, it would need to be down to were a fixed drawbar would be mounted. Possibly the blue lines would get tight before it came too high.
1706722363094.jpeg

/ Drawbar towing. #75  
I have not had any problems using a chain as a limiter. I normally set the chain so it is getting tight at the top of the lift travel. It would take quite a lift to go any higher as it would have to be lifting the rear of the tractor. I have spun out with the tractor while backing up hill.
I wouldn’t be against using chains as you’ve described, after it happened I’ve always attached the trailer safety chains to the drawbar bracket underneath the tractor and the breakaway switch. In the situation I had with the ball failure an awful lot of stuff would have to fail simultaneously for the trailer to do that again. Spooked me good is what it did. Fortunately I was given the chance to correct my lack of attention.

/ Drawbar towing. #76  
I am not seeing how that would limit upward travel of the lift arms, it would need to be down to were a fixed drawbar would be mounted. Possibly the blue lines would get tight before it came too high.
View attachment 849671
IT will because it prevents the rotation of the lower arm and trailer mover in relation to one another

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / Drawbar towing. #77  
I am guessing that you are referring to this type of "drawbar"
View attachment 839075

The lower bar in this picture is the actual drawbar.
View attachment 839077

When using a pull point attached to the 3 point just be aware that there is NO hold down force in the 3 point assembly.
While 3 point hitches are handy and versatile they do require one step often over looked, a chain or other travel limiting device needs to be used to prevent trailer loading from lifting the drawbars and raming things into undesired locations such as fender and fuel tanks.

In this picture at the bottom of the picture you can see the clevis attached to the tractors drawbar and to hooks in the hitch to limit upward movement.
View attachment 839078

another view showing the chains getting tight at the top of the 3 point lift
View attachment 839079
Yes, tie it down. One night, I was pulling a hay wagon full of fat people on a hayride using just the 3-point crossbar. Going down a steep hill the wagon came forward, lifted the rear tractor wheels off the ground and we were off to the races. Fortunately, kept it straight and the hill was short. Exciting!

/ Drawbar towing. #78  
Sounds like you have a problem with government regulations on firearms! If so, then you are obligated to come up with a solution to the problem.
Huh? Whats that got to do with firearms. The only bridge reamer usage I've ever heard of is in machining to make a hole just a little larger or to make a tapered hole.

/ Drawbar towing. #80  
I don't understand how that would prevent the trailer from lifting the 3 point.
IT will. Geometry.

Go pick any implement in your stable that uses all 3 points on the 3PH.

Hook it to the tractor, and lower it all the way. Take a measurement from the toplink to a point on the lower arm.
Now raise it and measure between the EXACT same two points again and you will see that it got longer.

The implement doesnt lift STRAIGHT in relationship to the lower arm. The toplink forces the implement to rotate about the lower pins.