Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,971  
When I cut, split wood or stack it I do it for 3 or 4 hours tops, usually less. I’m 61 and still have decent health but it wears me out. That’s the advantage of being retired, it’ll be there tomorrow. One thing I’ve done in retirement is try not to be lazy when it comes to safety.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,972  
When I cut, split wood or stack it I do it for 3 or 4 hours tops, usually less. I’m 61 and still have decent health but it wears me out. That’s the advantage of being retired, it’ll be there tomorrow. One thing I’ve done in retirement is try not to be lazy when it comes to safety.
I agree I am young but yet I do the same, a few hours everyday goes further over all then a 8h none stop then can't move for a week... fire wood is a very labor intensive and repetitive jobs one can get something as banal as tennis elbow very quickly but yet something as banal as that can take your hands out of commission for a descent amount of time to heal. I like having work stations, I will set myself 3 or 4 different task and I alternate between them, even if most of them will be physical it wont be the same movement and muscle involvement so it reduce my chances of injuries.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,973  
Challenger with HLA single arm log grapple handling a blow-down Ash. Another victim of the Emerald Ash Borer.…
Stihl 261C handled this like a hot knife through butter.

1706825184342.jpeg

1706825302541.jpeg

Free from stump

1706825341103.jpeg

And onto the IH-7500 dump truck.

1706825387535.jpeg

”Log Heaven waiting room ” where many logs from the area wait for their final processing.

1706825474235.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,974  
I agree I am young but yet I do the same, a few hours everyday goes further over all then a 8h none stop then can't move for a week... fire wood is a very labor intensive and repetitive jobs one can get something as banal as tennis elbow very quickly but yet something as banal as that can take your hands out of commission for a descent amount of time to heal. I like having work stations, I will set myself 3 or 4 different task and I alternate between them, even if most of them will be physical it wont be the same movement and muscle involvement so it reduce my chances of injuries.
Dealing with an elbow injury right now that I think is a result of doing a lot of firewood in 2023. Splitting by hand, grabbing pieces with my one hand to set back up on the chopping stump. Something as simple as picking up a cup of water by the top of the cup hurts like heck.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,975  
Dealing with an elbow injury right now that I think is a result of doing a lot of firewood in 2023. Splitting by hand, grabbing pieces with my one hand to set back up on the chopping stump. Something as simple as picking up a cup of water by the top of the cup hurts like heck.
they linger for ever if not given the right time to heal and even then they might never be the same … hop yours is not the case … take care

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,976  
they linger for ever if not given the right time to heal and even then they might never be the same … hop yours is not the case … take care
Thanks! I'll ice it and that helps for a bit, then something aggravates it again. Thinking I might need a cortisone shot.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,977  
My father was one who didn't believe in safety equipment. When he bought his first saw with a chain brake he took thr guts out of it
In 1990 I was on a landscape job tamping sod, and kept bouncing the tamper off the asphalt curb. I ended up with tendinitis so bad I couldn't use that arm, but I just worked through it. For years after that I did boundary line maintenance with an axe- as much as a hundred miles, for a couple of years- but that arm got so bad I learned to work one handed. I finally put down the axe about 10 years ago, and for the first time since 1990 my arm doesn't bother me.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,978  
Thanks! I'll ice it and that helps for a bit, then something aggravates it again. Thinking I might need a cortisone shot.
Some people do well with a topical anti inflammatant like Voltaren.
Aspercreme works well for me, but what's the best is a topical ibuprofen gel, though it's not OTC in USA... you can find the occasional shop that'll ship it from England. That stuff is magic.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,979  
My father was one who didn't believe in safety equipment. When he bought his first saw with a chain brake he took thr guts out of it
In 1990 I was on a landscape job tamping sod, and kept bouncing the tamper off the asphalt curb. I ended up with tendinitis so bad I couldn't use that arm, but I just worked through it. For years after that I did boundary line maintenance with an axe- as much as a hundred miles, for a couple of years- but that arm got so bad I learned to work one handed. I finally put down the axe about 10 years ago, and for the first time since 1990 my arm doesn't bother me.
yup, I enjoy it though and it's a great workout. But I may just have to use the splitter going forward

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,980  
Some people do well with a topical anti inflammatant like Voltaren.
Aspercreme works well for me, but what's the best is a topical ibuprofen gel, though it's not OTC in USA... you can find the occasional shop that'll ship it from England. That stuff is magic.
Thanks for the heads up!