Gannon repair - add plate or replaceable skids?

/ Gannon repair - add plate or replaceable skids? #1  

BadDecisions

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
Picked up this box last year, knowing it needed work. Did a few little things to it, now I'm on to repairing the obviously well worn side plates.

Living in the low desert, all the ground here is rocky/sandy, which wears on anything dragging the ground. Having never owned a gannon before this, I have no idea if this is months, years, or decades worth of wear.

As it sits now, there's a considerable gap under the front of the box when tilted to run the rear leveling blade down, and it basically just acts as a rear blade turned around rather than a box.

As such, I was thinking of adding some kind of easily replaceable "skids" of sorts on the bottom, in addition to adding plate to level it back out....or is this just overkill, and it would take years to wear it out again?
2024-02-18-13-18-31-817.jpg

/ Gannon repair - add plate or replaceable skids? #2  
Depends on who had/has it. If it is for contract work, years. If for home use, decades. Add plates to sides to restore and you will be fine for a decade or so, again, depending on how much dirt you decide to move

/ Gannon repair - add plate or replaceable skids? #3  
You could add a thick 3" plate along the side, hard-surface the contact edge and be good to go for a long long time. You really don't want a wide skid on that edge as sometimes you will want that edge to be able to sink of cut into whatever you are grading.

/ Gannon repair - add plate or replaceable skids?
You could add a thick 3" plate along the side, hard-surface the contact edge and be good to go for a long long time. You really don't want a wide skid on that edge as sometimes you will want that edge to be able to sink of cut into whatever you are grading.

Ahhh, the sinking part...hadn't thought of that, and a good point it is.

Alright, just adding more plate to level it back out it is then! Thanks!