Coffee scoops and coffee makers

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
A 12 cup mister coffee maker is a popular size and brand. A standard coffee scoop is 2 tablespoons.
How many scoops do you use for a pot of coffee? We have been using 2 scoops for a long time but some of the literature suggests we use 4 to 6 scoops to get the Golden Ratio.

Also, does a $350 Moccamaster or Bunn coffee pot [or any high priced one] make coffee taste that much better?

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #2  
1/4 cup/4 tablespoons, so the same as 2 scoops. Any more than that and it would give me heartburn.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #3  
You need to play with it a bit and get to know your scoop. I divide the number of cups by two to get the number of scoops then play from there to get the desired strength of brew. This will vary somewhat by your particular coffee maker. I'm currently using four scoops for ten or eleven cups. I don't know about fancy coffee makers. I use the cheapest drip unit I can buy - under $30 is a good price point, no timer or anything else. You could also play with French press or cold brew. If you're really into good coffee try roasting your own beans, my step son does.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #4  
Get a coffee scale, brew at 15:1 to 16:1 for pour-over or drip, for most makers running 200° to 205°F. It's just as quick and easy as measuring by cups, and gives better consistency when you switch brands / roasts / grinds. Water is 1 oz. per fluid oz., so the math is easy. Eg. 2 oz. of beans or grind for 30 fl.oz. of water, to hit 15:1.

There was at least a period where all US coffee makers started dropping their temperature down toward 190°F, some even 180°F I think. They made terrible coffee, and would require adjustment to these classic ratios, to try to make up the difference.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #5  
I use one teaspoon per cup in my Mr. coffee.. Sometimes I will put a extra spoon full in....

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #6  
We have a 12 cup Mr. coffee also. I use a slightly heaping tablespoon plus an extra one when I make it. I usually make about 10 cups in the morning so roughly 11 slightly heaping tablespoons.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #7  
9 level tablespoons of finely ground espresso beans for 36 oz of brewed coffee, (three 12 oz tumblers).

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #8  
I have found that the quality of the coffee and water has more influence on taste than the coffee maker.

I think using quality water (e.g. RO) helps the taste. If you don't use RO, descaling your coffee maker periodically helps the flavor as well. (In my view)

All the best, Peter

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #10  
I don't no stink'n coffee maker! :ROFLMAO:

Years ago, my expensive coffee maker died and when I looked for a new one I did not like the prices and/or reviews. The light bulb finally went on and I asked myself, self, why am I buying a machine to heat water to pour over coffee? :unsure:

So I bought a nice stainless steel funnel to hold the coffee basket. I place the coffee basket in the funnel which is placed in my "thermos" bottle. I just pour the heated water over the coffee. I used to use the microwave to heat the water to the "right" temperature but then we bought a hot water kettle after using them in Ireland. Not sure how we lived without the hot water kettle. We use it all of the time. 🤷‍♂️

I use two 1/4 cups of coffee, 1/2 cup total, for a quart of water. The 1/4 cups are heaping cups though.