Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,821  
Speaking of eagles, I was traipsing through the woods today and happened upon this fellow (or lady, not sure). We have lots of eagles, but I can't say that I have seen one sitting on a log deep in the woods before. Sorry, I only had my iPhone with me.
EAGLE1.jpg
EAGLE2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Cool Nature Photos #2,822  
Digging through some older Osprey photos from my neighborhood. Endangered and reintroduced by the DNR about 15 years ago, they seem to prefer the triangular cell towers at least in my area. One tower is 3 miles and the other about 15 out. Apparently microwaves and strobe lights are no deterrents to nest building. How hard would it be to mount a video cam amongst all that electronics. I pity the tower maintenance man having to deal with a hen with chick's.

Attachments

• osprey 1 (1).jpg
    osprey 1 (1).jpg
    715 KB · Views: 38
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 39
   / Cool Nature Photos #2,826  
They don't technically hibernate. They just go to the bottom of a body of water and bury themselves in the mud. It's called brumation.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,828  
The only reasons I know about this are:
1. My nephew is a herpatologist.
2. My kid has a Russian tortoise that I've been taking care of for the past 8 years until they get done with grad school.

Tortellini (yes, that's his name) just came out of brumation a week or so ago and is running around his enclosure destroying everything like Godzilla! It was a peaceful couple months while he was down. :ROFLMAO:

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,830  
My question is the small purple crocus are spreading all over the yard. How can that happen? Squirrels?