Status of Everything Attachments

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,492  
Back when the original IBM PC was introduced, "clone" computers were sold that were IBM compatible but for about half the price. Including a long warranty-- 5 years, lifetime, whatever. The components were cheap and substandard; hence, the low price.

The local company sold these by the thousands. Made a ton of money and totally screwed up the competitive landscape. After about a year, they would close shop without notice. Suddenly, the business location would be empty and vacant. They they would re-open a short time later in a different location using different name. Same owners and workers.

All promised warranties were "void" since the company that made those promises was closed and defunct.

They did that through several cycles before it stopped.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,493  
Shingle manufacturers have been pulling that stunt for years. A 25 or 30 year shingle is laughable. There's not a shingle company that's ever been around long enough to make good on very many warranty issues.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,494  
Back when the original IBM PC was introduced, "clone" computers were sold that were IBM compatible but for about half the price. Including a long warranty-- 5 years, lifetime, whatever. The components were cheap and substandard; hence, the low price.

The local company sold these by the thousands. Made a ton of money and totally screwed up the competitive landscape. After about a year, they would close shop without notice. Suddenly, the business location would be empty and vacant. They they would re-open a short time later in a different location using different name. Same owners and workers.

All promised warranties were "void" since the company that made those promises was closed and defunct.

They did that through several cycles before it stopped.
When gateway computer was getting big, had a friend who had to buy from a local shop. They closed long before gateway did, but eventually it didn't make it either.

As for shingles, company i used are still around 30years later, but in general, warranties are about worthless, they have so many gotcha's. Like Costco wouldn't honor the road hazzard warranty on my tire that got a big nail in it that couldn't be plugged, because I didn't have paperwork to show the tires had been rotated every 7K miles.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,496  
We're seeing a lot of old companies with expired trademarks reappearing, completely unconnected with the original company.

In the bicycle world, one gets Schwinn, Mercier, Motobecane , and several others that are just names.

I'd imagine the same is happening with tools.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,497  
Shingle manufacturers have been pulling that stunt for years. A 25 or 30 year shingle is laughable. There's not a shingle company that's ever been around long enough to make good on very many warranty issues.
My shingles were installed the year I hit 40. Manufacturer's lifetime warranty - mine lifetime. Damn herpes zoster virus.
(actually it was installed whenever it was that I had chicken pox, but I have no recollection of that. definitely remember when the shingles outbreak was though)

My house was shingled in 1990, and while the roof is definitely suffering and I wouldn't buy the house without expecting to immediately re-roof it, it doesn't leak - and I've checked in the attic multiple times.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,498  
It seems the EA issue is not an orderly Chapter 11 bankruptcy under which the company continuous to operate until things get sorted out.

There are reports of no employees at the site.

There are rules wrt filing for bankruptcy and the owner may not have been able to do so. But I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last so will not play attorney.

I am 99% sure that under a Chapter 11 filing, current orders would still be filled and that does not appear to be happening.

IMO the EA goose is stuffed, cooked, left in the oven too long and not edible.
The case will be converted to a Chap. 7

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,499  
It's hard to keep the doors open when there are a lot of companies that pay in 180 days, 360 days,
In my business, that is the norm actually but they do pay eventually and even sooner if I have another job in the shop for them. Guess they feel guilty or something. I have to have working capital or I'd go **** up pretty quick.