Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #971  
We had 71 degrees here on Wednesday. It started raining early Thursday morning and the thermometer plummeted and the rain turned to snow. My yardstick this morning:
P1006831er.jpg

It would have been a lot deeper but the ground was so warm the snow merely melted for several hours.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #972  
We had 71 degrees here on Wednesday. It started raining early Thursday morning and the thermometer plummeted and the rain turned to snow. My yardstick this morning:

It would have been a lot deeper but the ground was so warm the snow merely melted for several hours.
How much snow do you typically get in your part of Nevada? Being desert country I'd think not much.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #973  
How much snow do you typically get in your part of Nevada? Being desert country I'd think not much.

According to the National Weather Service, the average yearly snowfall for the nearest town is 22" total. It rarely stays on the ground for more than just a few days - that Nevada sun is just too strong. Of course, that statistic is for the valley...my house is at 4418 feet elevation. The mountains are a different story. Right behind my house the mountain is right at 10,000 feet elevation - essentially a mile higher. There the snow really piles up. 20 - 30 feet deep is not unusual; in July I can leave my house and in 12 miles be sitting in a snow bank to cool off. My place is visible in this pic right at the base of the mountain range:
IMG_4609ecptbn4-5-24.jpg

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #974  
Thanks for the reminder of the scale of things out west!
Probably been 20+ years.
Beautiful

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #976  
According to the National Weather Service, the average yearly snowfall for the nearest town is 22" total. It rarely stays on the ground for more than just a few days - that Nevada sun is just too strong. Of course, that statistic is for the valley...my house is at 4418 feet elevation. The mountains are a different story. Right behind my house the mountain is right at 10,000 feet elevation - essentially a mile higher. There the snow really piles up. 20 - 30 feet deep is not unusual; in July I can leave my house and in 12 miles be sitting in a snow bank to cool off. My place is visible in this pic right at the base of the mountain range:
View attachment 860869
Nice! The highest ground around here is a landfill. :oops:

IMG_3870.jpeg

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #977  
So today the snow blower was stored away and the fel went on. Any more snow that falls will be easily dealt with by the sun and wind and the fel.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #978  
So today the snow blower was stored away and the fel went on. Any more snow that falls will be easily dealt with by the sun and wind and the fel.
That's what I thought 2 or 3 weeks ago. I really want to finish cutting/splitting a couple cords of log-length firewood, but don't dare swap the FEL for forks yet. Not with the way things have been this year. Plowed the driveway more times in April than I did all winter.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #979  
Going this am to pick up a FREE snowblower. Says it won't go into neutral. Well, we'll see for free can't go wrong I figure! (maybe unless it turns into a money pit lol)

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #980  
Put it in the river like they use to it ends up there when it melts anyway. People think all that salt just stays where they put it but all that ends up in the river no matter where you pile it.