Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading?

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #21  
Taxation without representation?

By definition a vacation cabin/home is not a residence so the owners are excluding from participating in voting issues and in a place like Tahoe it means major decisions are effectively made by a few.

It kind of reminds me of renting a car at an airport. There were significant extra taxes, beyond the normal sales tax. These taxes pass easily, because the voters aren't the ones that pay the tax.

There was an old Monty Python joke where they were doing a "man on the street" interview.

"I think we should tax all foreigners living abroad."

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading?
You get what you vote for...
That's the point... by law a person that owns property is limited to voting only in the district of residence.

So if you own grazing land in the next county or a cabin in a distant place no vote there is possible.

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #25  
1712531678117.png

Bruce

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #26  
As this is California, I would not underestimate the effect of Prop 13 freezing property taxes has on the ability of local governments to raise revenue.

Prop 13 sets the statewide property tax at 1% of value with annual inflation increase capped at 2%

Voters can and do approve parcel taxes... 55% approval for new schools and 2/3 voter approval for all the other parcel taxes... such as libraries, youth services, several Oakland School measures, street lights, police, fire, wet weather, mosquitoes, vector control, etc...

Last I checked the voters have been very generous with 24+ approved parcel taxes... heck... I'm still paying both the city and county portions to fund the stadium expansion for the Raiders... and the Raiders are long gone and now the A's and the Warriors left too...

I would hate to imagine what things would be like if taxes didn't require voter approval.

Living in the city my tax rate is easily 50% higher than the same value home in the county... and county offers better services!

Last edited:
   / Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #28  
It's here too. Not all areas are included but it's making things a problem for some people. Here it includes banning short term rentals in some areas that encourage tourism. Kelowna B.C. has some buildings that were specifically built as short term rentals, with the proper zoning, permits, and licenses where the suite owners are now being told by the provincial government that they cannot be used for short term rentals. We may have a revolution here if things continue.

Banning short term is often defined as less than 6 months is how I see it starting.

In tourist areas businesses often notice business is down because if someone is going to stay a week or two the private licensed and inspected and taxed rentals are what many choose.

Mandating a mountain cabin be occupied minimum of 6 months annually and saying you may never rent for a period of less than 6 months is a clear taking and infringement on the right to own property.

How is it authorities can demand this of private property but cannot ban transient camps?

Maybe no money in going after transients?