Cheap filling tires Ck2610

/ Cheap filling tires Ck2610 #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
Got myself in a sketchy situation the other day, and decided, I need to add weight. I normally throw a heavy 6 ft frontier box blade on the back for weight, but was working in the woods where it was pretty tight. Anyway, fronts got pretty buried, and rears just didn't have the traction, so

Two cheap butt questions;
1) How long does Temps have to be below 32' F to actually freeze water in a tire, and how catosphoic is it? My old Kubota had what I Think was straight water and never saw an issue. We get Temps down to low-mid 20s most years, but we never have a day where Temps stay below freezing foe 24 hrs; it's certainly news worthy if we have 8 hrs below 32. Straight water?

2) With above (yes, I've looked, no answers easily found), would say, 1 gal windshield fluid to 5 gal water, provide a significant freeze protection? Really don't need 0 degrees protection,

3) Am I overthinking it; ground is never going to get below 45 degrees even on an end of the world cold snap,

Edit: 15-19.5 R14s if that's relevant

Last edited:
   / Cheap filling tires Ck2610 #2  
It would have to say with temps in the low 20's for more than 24-36hrs to even think about starting to freeze that much water, IMO. And even then it would probably just get a little slushy. Up here in N. Indiana, we can see temps get to -15f at night for days when there's a cold snap (but usually 5-10f)

If you are worried, you could put 5gal of -20f fluid in each tire and then fill with water. Can you even get -20f fluid down there?

Up here, I put in 2.5gal of Hydro 1500 sealant, 1gal of straight anti-freeze (for the protectants), and 25gal of -20f fluid in each tire. So far so good.

When you fill, jack the tractor up just enough to take the weight of the tire. If you lift if clear of the ground, it could sag enough to leak around the bead ;)

/ Cheap filling tires Ck2610 #3  
Didn't I tell you to get your tires filled? 😄

It may not have been you, lol, there are a lot of folks that have come through here when buying 2610's.

/ Cheap filling tires Ck2610
Didn't I tell you to get your tires filled?

It may not have been you, lol, there are a lot of folks that have come through here when buying 2610's.
Maybe? I really wanted to avoid it if possible, just for compaction in the yard/garden, ect. I was digging a bunch of lake bottom silt from a very old, very dry lake bed, and I had a pretty aggressive 'ramp' going into a 36" deep, 6 ft wide hole, and then backing out-up, the fronts dug down, and backs where almost floating, even with an empty bucket. I knew I should have had the box blade on, but to get though the trees, there was one area on each trip, where it was only 2 or 3" of spare room for rear tires, and 72" BB would have hung up.

My old Kubota had fluid in rears, and although I never tasted it, it smelled like plane water.

/ Cheap filling tires Ck2610 #5  
I didn't go cheap but elected for foam filled which did two things... added weight and no more flats!

/ Cheap filling tires Ck2610 #6  
I agree with @Midniteoyl, at least in part.
I've had water barrels outside. With a hard freeze, I might get a skim of ice in them, but I never thought they would freeze to the middle. I have some ice cream buckets outside that I'll get an inch or two of ice on the top, but liquid water on the bottom.

The rubber on your tractor tires will act as an insulator. And, I doubt they'll freeze enough to blow the tires.

However, personally I'd be reluctant to drive the tractor when I knew I had frozen water in the tires. But, I never do snow plowing with my tractor. I did use it a bit doing cleanup after our recent ice storm.

/ Cheap filling tires Ck2610 #7  
I’m in SC and have had straight water in the tires on both my tractors and the one I’ve had since 2009.

/ Cheap filling tires Ck2610 #8  
I had salt water in my first tractor. The last nine years of ownership - a nightmare.

The new Kubota - RimGuard. What a total blessing/relief.

Here it will stay below freezing for days - even weeks. Not a chance I'm willing to take - water.

Picked up 2 gal of -20 deicer and a water fill connector. No idea on the math of 1 gal of -20 and like 12 gal of water; but I figure it will be maybe a 25 degree mix? Either way, I dont see any harm in adding the -20 to the mix.

I was gonna do it during the week, but son is gonna be off work tomorrow morning, and I've seen about 1 in 3 people end up breaking the tire bead, and I think a second person would be useful if that happens.

Not fooling with the pumps and bucket stuff, gonna do funnel and hose for the de-icer, and garden hose for the main fill.

Report back, started at 8:30am, and by started, I mean, went outside to gather the stuff, funnel, deicer, garden hose, air chuck; at 9:45am, both tires were done, jack and jack stands put away (ish, moved out of the way), and tires aired up, and ready to test.

Didn't even have to wake son up.

Last edited: