Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #21  
Bon Fire! Yet the most fun, would be driving "Off Road." There is something magical about this to a 15 year old that has only traveled on public streets. Most fun I ever had as a camp counselor, was letting them drive, some driving for the first time, out in an open field with no designated lanes.
:)

Last edited:
   / Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #22  
That makes a lot of sense. I'm trying to build a list I will have in the "back pocket." As I learn more about his capabilities, I can pull appropriate things from the list to do.

The sawmill is a manual bandsaw mill. Anything with a spinning blade is a risk but I'd rate it on the low side of the scale. Lots of physical labor involved-- his mom tells me he can bench press 300# pounds at age 15-- so this might be a way to wear him out.
One of these will help develop the shoulders, back, core and forearms too. Splitting with one was my favorite part of growing up with wood heat.
maul.png

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #23  
Some of the nieces later had boyfriends that couldn’t drive a stick…

One was away at University and she drive a friends stick home… out of about a dozen people she was the only one that could drive as her friend had a cast on.

lol.gif
roflmao.gif
lol.gif

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #24  
That makes a lot of sense. I'm trying to build a list I will have in the "back pocket." As I learn more about his capabilities, I can pull appropriate things from the list to do.

The sawmill is a manual bandsaw mill. Anything with a spinning blade is a risk but I'd rate it on the low side of the scale. Lots of physical labor involved-- his mom tells me he can bench press 300# pounds at age 15-- so this might be a way to wear him out.
He must be a petty stout lad!

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #25  
Most kids that have been here have gotten a kick of me cracking a bull whip. They are amazed how loud it is when done right. They will try for hours learning how to make it crack. :ROFLMAO:

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #26  
Some of the nieces later had boyfriends that couldn’t drive a stick

One was away at University and she drive a friends stick home… out of about a dozen people she was the only one that could drive as her friend had a cast on.
Younger Daughter arrived at the ranch to pick up some inherited furniture - driving a U-Haul box truck. She said her Prius-owning boyfriend wouldn't consider driving it the 150 miles round trip, mostly in SF Bay Area traffic starting from near SFO. She's fearless.

Both daughters learned to drive, and passed their first license test, in the 5 speed Trooper we had at the time. We've tried to raise them right.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #27  
Most kids that have been here have gotten a kick of me cracking a bull whip. They are amazed how loud it is when done right. They will try for hours learning how to make it crack. :ROFLMAO:
Never done it, but I have broken fish hooks on my backswing when trying to fly fish. :(
Same principle I guess.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #28  
I like the driving dirt bike, sxs, shoot guns, cruising the roads, spending time with you. I would ask him if there is anything he'd like to try or do while out there. I also like the neighbors daughter introduction...

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #29  
Mom described all the cousins spending summers at her parents' 100 acre ranch with endless opportunities for adventure, then going back to their urban homes, as like 'pouring milk back into a bottle'.

I also spent time at my other grandparents' place, the inherited orchard I own now. I learned roofing, carpentry, plumbing, wiring, etc etc helping keep up this ancient and simple house. Also tractor driving, working for a neighbor in harvest season.

Kids today seldom have these learning opportunities. Put that kid on a backhoe or something where he can apply his game-controller expertise to the real world.

But don't under-estimate the risk to someone who has no safety instinct at all. I've had a guest fall off a harvest ladder from reaching too far, luckily only 2.5 ft from the ground. And someone who wanted to impress me describing his friend's full size chainsaw - who was grossly incompetent with the 12 inch Ryobi battery saw. Or who jackknifed and bent the tongue on my trailer trying to back it. Not everybody has the instincts we take for granted.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #30  
Nephew became a good equipment operator at the farm age 12 to 20 now works in Manhattan New York.

Some of his colleagues are true city dwellers never having a driver's license.

Nephew said simple things amaze them... like running a dozer, hunting, bleeding a well pump, setting up a generator and of course time in the saddle...

To them he is a California cowboy in the flesh... yet he is nowhere near a cowboy even though the farm had cows, sheep and pigs...

I'm betting he has a bright future...