Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,521  
Good place for a switch..is that an old semaphore mast hiding in the tree's ?
Yes. We even have old telegraph poles in the rust belt.
We have a lot of Sycamores and Kentucky Coffee trees, too.

The railroad is probably doing a little better than it was 20 years ago, but it seems like they’re just hanging on. Few customers left.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#3,522  
In June of 1967 Clint Jones (left) and a sidekick take a break from working on the Copper Range 29 to watch #9, the Copper Country Limited climb Hancock Hill. This picture would have been taken from the Houghton side. Work was being done on the 29 in preparation for use on the Keweenaw Central RY. Photographer unknown.
1714048784766.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,523  
One of my favorite train guys, a modeler and a working engineer.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,526  
Did someone say steam? This Hudson was rebuilt more than once and carries a 'diesel control unit' so that the engineer can operate the brakes of a diesel that often accompanies it. That addition is to save wear on the steamer's brakes as they are very costly and difficult to reline. (You guys knew that)

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,528  
Anyone ever squish coins on the tracks ? I used to do it all the time as a kid, I got told that the conductor feel it inside the loco when going over them, I don't know if its true but it must be.

1714162558679.png

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,529  
I had a couple of pennies that were flattened by the Freedom Train when we saw it in Florida back in the 70s, but lost track of them a few years ago.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,530  
Hard to imagine this was a thriving Rail line along the Canal in NJ.
Picture at Lambertville Station Restaurant looking up the Canal and the last bit of rail left.
20240426_184537.jpg