CPAP cleaners stink!

/ CPAP cleaners stink! #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
The ozone ones that is. My wife and I both have sleep apnea. After seeing William Shattner carry on about them for the upteenth time, we decided to buy one for each of us. I did a bit of searching online and spoke to someone at the medical supply where we get our equipment.

That person said that the So Clean voids the warranty on Resmed CPAP machines so we went with the VirtuClean. Both use ozone but the VirtuClean only cleans the tubing, mask and resivoir while the So Clean cleans the internal parts of the CPAP machine.

Ozone stinks! You need to clean the mask with a wipe then allow air to blow through the tube about 5 or 10 minutes before using and it still stinks of ozone. My wife's sinus's got irritated. So, I did some more digging which I should have done to start with. Seems that these devices are not FDA approved and that the ozone may be harmful. In my case, it sure was unpleasent.

I wish my medical supplier had been more upfront about this but what with the restrictions going on, our personal contact was limited to a parking lot purchase. Also, with the VitruClean, there is no return unless you purchase directly from VirtuClean. That really stinks!

/ CPAP cleaners stink! #2  
Once/wk, I take mine to the bathroom sink and pour about a 1/2 cup of vinegar into the end of the hose that normally attaches to the back of the unit. Actually, I just lay the hose in a U on the counter with the mouthpiece end in the sink in the humidifier reservoir. I just pour the vinegar into the other end until full, guessing about 1/2 cup. Then lift the hose and drain it into the reservoir. Pour vinegar from the reservoir into the sink. Take reservoir and hose to unit and connect to a towel where the mouth piece sits on a hassock. Let the machine run while making love to the wife. Then shut it off, all dry, when finished.

After a few years, the hose will need replacing (mine once in 8 years), but this keeps it from having stuff growing in it and smelling.

Ralph

/ CPAP cleaners stink! #3  
Once/wk, I take mine to the bathroom sink and pour about a 1/2 cup of vinegar into the end of the hose that normally attaches to the back of the unit. Actually, I just lay the hose in a U on the counter with the mouthpiece end in the sink in the humidifier reservoir. I just pour the vinegar into the other end until full, guessing about 1/2 cup. Then lift the hose and drain it into the reservoir. Pour vinegar from the reservoir into the sink. Take reservoir and hose to unit and connect to a towel where the mouth piece sits on a hassock. Let the machine run while making love to the wife. Then shut it off, all dry, when finished.

After a few years, the hose will need replacing (mine once in 8 years), but this keeps it from having stuff growing in it and smelling.

Ralph

TMI !!!

Last edited:
   / CPAP cleaners stink! #4  
Please do not think that I'm being callus...but it seems there is a lot of CPAP sufferers these days...If the machines are so important to health/lives...how come so many years ago you never heard much about it ??...

A skeptical person might get the impression that a lot of doctors etc. own stock in the companies that sell the machines/cleaners etc...

/ CPAP cleaners stink! #5  

Ralph

"let the machine run while making love to the wife"
For me: .... 3 minutes of run time would be enough ????

/ CPAP cleaners stink! #6  
Please do not think that I'm being callus...but it seems there is a lot of CPAP sufferers these days...If the machines are so important to health/lives...how come so many years ago you never heard much about it ??...

A skeptical person might get the impression that a lot of doctors etc. own stock in the companies that sell the machines/cleaners etc...

I would submit that you are WAY off the factual chart with that remark.
"So many years ago" we drove cars without either seat belts or air bags.
Do you also believe that doctors have conspired to own the stocks of seat belt and air bag manufacturers?
How about the stocks of companies that make polio vaccine?
Heart and liver transplant medications?

Last edited:
   / CPAP cleaners stink! #7  

I have been using one for about two months. My quality of life has improved in the recent few weeks.
You can be as skeptical as you wish, I do not foresee abandoning my CPAP at this point.
Cleaning the equipment manually really is not a burden. When natural sleep conditions/habits allow your BOC to get down into the low 80s things have to change.

Last edited:
   / CPAP cleaners stink! #8  
"So many years ago" we drove cars without either seat belts or air bags too.
Do you think that doctors own the stock of seat belt and air bag manufacturers?

Not even frigging close to the same thing...geeze...!

/ CPAP cleaners stink! #9  
"So many years ago" we drove cars without either seat belts or air bags.
Do you also believe that doctors have conspired to own the stocks of seat belt and air bag manufacturers?
How about the stocks of companies that make polio vaccine?
Heart and liver transplant medications?

Most of the people I know that use them are overweight. I’m not saying everyone that uses one is overweight but that’s been my observation. I’m guessing there were fewer overweight people 50 years ago.

/ CPAP cleaners stink! #10  
I can't breath through my nose worth a crap at night, but don't want to go down this road. Kind of like all those people on antidrepressants, forever, but it was just supposed to be for that little bump in the road.