The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #21  
I am in rural Ontario too and had Xplornet.....Like most satellite internet, it sucked......Went to cellular for a few years, but its too **** expensive.....We are now on a local fixed wireless system that seems to be working well....We have unlimited data at 10 mbs for $70/month...There are more of these fixed wireless systems popping up

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #22  
Net neutrality has been law in the US since 2015... at least until now. Prior to the law, Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon were all caught throttling data to select services. But now, thanks to *****, the regulation is being repealed. That will make America great again, right?

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #23  
Be wary of satellite plans. The word "unlimited" which has different meanings to different companies. IMO satellite should only be considered when nothing else or dial up is available. Had Hughesnet for 2 years and they suck. Switched to Verizon 4G LTE and recommend it. They cover 99% of Indiana.

I can稚 find a Verizon plan for any kind of decent price. Right now my option is 1.5 mb dsl that works most of the time sort of. Forget streaming.

Comcast has a line 1500 feet away. They do not seem interested in extending that line. If they did they would get me and the neighbor who is about to build.

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #24  
Net neutrality has been law in the US since 2015... at least until now. Prior to the law, Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon were all caught throttling data to select services. But now, thanks to *****, the regulation is being repealed. That will make America great again, right?

Point us to the repeal. I’m sure the signed document is all over the internet- hint it didn’t happen. Save your political hyper babble for your safe space.

OP is in Canada according to the profile. I don’t know the law or name there which is why the wiki page was hyperlinked. It will take some research to figure out if it’s the ISP on certain sites or just the overall speed.

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #25  
   / The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #27  
We are 2-1/2 miles on copper wire from the central office is about as far as DSL will work fast enough for high definition video movies.

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #28  
We have a local provider that uses microwave technology; basically I have a dish on my house that is receiving signal from a transmitter on top a grain bin about a mile away. It is supposed to be 6mb download and 2mb upload. It rarely is. I think it is network saturation because during peak periods it gets dog slow. I sometimes turn my wifi on my phone off and hit the verizon tower nearby it gets so bad.

I guess that goes with being rural; I wouldn't trade it for high speed internet I'll tell you that.

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #29  
25 down and 5 up here. On suddenlink cable. I can't complain. Never a problem streaming anything, including Netflix.

/ The Frustrations Of Rural Internet AND Netflix #30  
I have Bell 4G LTE mobile stick. It works good enough to watch netflix in most areas in Ontario. There are still some areas where I cannot get I-net at all, but they are getting fewer every year.
I use the mobile stick in the winter as a fixed point for I-net and in the laptop all over Ontario in summer. Yes I pay $150.oo + tax for 100 gigs a month on a stepped plan. My last mobile provider charged me $5.oo/meg after my 10 gig limit. I had bills from them in summertime that were as much as $400.oo/month. With the Bell plan they charge me $5.oo/gig for overages. Way cheaper and better coverage. I also have my cell phone with Bell, so I get the 'bundled' rate on both plans.