China Corona virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / China Corona virus #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Anyone cancel travel to China? I was booked to fly to China Fed 15th but will delay until summer. I'm pretty impressed the lockdown of most of Hubei province has kept most of the infected and death to one region. John Hopkins has a good website for tracking.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

/ China Corona virus #3  
Coronavirus has a much higher mortality rate than the common influenza bugs....it will probably spread world wide.

/ China Corona virus #4  
My biggest concern is that I have zero confidence in the Chinese at being honest about how bad it really is. If they say 100 deaths, I'm thinking its 1,000 deaths.

/ China Corona virus #5  
What I've found lacking in the news reporting is who's dying. Is it older frail people, young healthy, babies, a mix of all??

/ China Corona virus #6  
I don't have any worries about going to China. Every year there is some plague that's going to kill everybody and it never does. SARS, Monkey Pox, Ebolla, Swine Flu, this year its Corona Virus. Don't go licking doorknobs and wash your hands.

/ China Corona virus #7  
Think this one over.
I spent a few hours with a person yesterday only to discover he had attended an event that had a room full of Chinese just a few days prior.
LOL, he never sneezed nor were we closer than 5 ft.

/ China Corona virus #8  
Death rate in tractors 23/100,000
Death rate in cars USA 12/100,000
Death of the flu USA 95/100,000

Death rate of flu China (outside Hubei) 300/100,000. This is a 0.2% increase from the regular USA flu. If we start changing life plans because of a 0.2% increase chance of death we are screwed!

But if that’s stopping someone, consider the death rate for coronary artery disease and heart attacks- 25,000/100,000!!!! We, as a population, do way more to ourselves with diet and exercise (or lack of) then the flu does!

We tend to over react to things. Say someone died in a helicopter crash. We wouldn’t expect the family to arrive at the funeral in a helicopter. We might even say that is poor taste. But if a family member died in a car crash, everyone would still arrive in cars!

Of the flu deaths, most of the adults are people who already have health issues- AIDS, COPD, Congestive Heart Failure, cancer, obesity or a weakened immune system.

This isn’t like MERS or the Swine Flu where the deaths were 34,000/100,000.

/ China Corona virus #9  
Now we know the true source of the virus. :licking:

corona-beer-virus.jpg

/ China Corona virus #10  
Death of the flu USA 95/100,000

Death rate of flu China (outside Hubei) 300/100,000. This is a 0.2% increase from the regular USA flu.

How did you do the math to come up with a 0.2% increase going from 95/100,000 to 300/100,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.