1025R Hydro Drive power

/ 1025R Hydro Drive power #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
Hello all. This is my first hydro tractor experience so I do not have any knowledge base and I've searched all over and can't exactly find the answer. I have been a bit disappointed in the pushing power of my little 1025R. I haven't run into a problem pulling as I haven't been able to get enough traction to get the HST into bypass. It may just be a function of how the transmission works in this little tractor if so I'll deal with it. I just want to make sure it is working correctly. I bought it used so there may be need for a repair. Basically when pushing, or filling the bucket, the tires only sometimes spin when the tractor is pushing into whatever it is. It ends up getting too much traction for the power available and the transmission goes into bypass without bogging the tractor. I would have thought it would either spin the tires or bog the engine but maybe I'm wrong? There doesn't seem to be any issue at any other time.

It seems to act and sound just about like this, but possibly a little less strain. So that leads me to believe that it's probably normal.... But I don't really like it... Can this be improved if it is normal?

/ 1025R Hydro Drive power #2  
I don't know Deere at all. My Kubota has an HST transmission and I have managed to stall the engine a time or two trying to push or pull too much. It's like a regular transmission coming to a stop without depressing the clutch. Is there supposed to be a bypass?

/ 1025R Hydro Drive power #3  
Mine will try to stall but not very often. I have a 2025r. Are you in low range when this happens? You want to be in low range when doing stuff like loading the bucket in a pile.

/ 1025R Hydro Drive power #5  
What is the surface? If on concrete the traction would be adequate to stall the engine. Loose dirt the wheels should spin.

/ 1025R Hydro Drive power
Lots of traction. Heavy implement on the back and loader wedged into material on hard pack. If I just push straight into the material the tires will spin most of the time. But when I curl up and try to keep pushing, it loads the tires enough that the traction is greater than the HST can spin the tires. Just seems like it would lug the engine down more before the high pressure bypass in the HST.

/ 1025R Hydro Drive power #7  
Sounds like it's working correctly. There is a limit to what you can do with 24 HP.

/ 1025R Hydro Drive power #8  
My BX will bog down and try to stall the engine too if I don't let up before that happens. I'm fairly certain I could stall it outright but I've always let up when it starts to bog down. It's an 1880 with filled rear tires and wheel weights. Perhaps the low horsepower is to blame in my situation.

It's also hard to keep in my head not to push the forward pedal down more as though it's a throttle pedal. It's second nature to push the pedal harder which is effectively putting me in a "higher gear" when the push gets the hardest.

Last edited:
   / 1025R Hydro Drive power
I guess all is well. I loaded up a bunch of hard packed clay from a pile into a pickup. I think I am learning how to be a better operator. I had been frustrated at the perception of lack of power. I just so happened to see a TTWT video where he was teaching a new operator how to load up a bucket with rock. Turns out full forward in low, curling, and raising all at the same time just doesn't work... I drove in, then released most of the forward pressure and curled. Then let completely off the peddle and let the loader push the tractor backwards while lifting. Worked like a charm and got way more material than before..