12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #251  
If it was a design flaw,the issues would be more wide spread and at catastrophic as you explained your was, it would be more widely talked about.

This is an issue with your truck and who ever worked on it
I've heard of driveshafts being distorted during a joint replacement.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #252  
Yes. Either bent or squeezed putting excess pressure into the cap or twisting it. Doesnt take much mis alignment to ruin one

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #253  
That must be why it wasn’t getting greased. Bottom line; they are meant to have grease and don’t work well without it.
I’m just thankful I got 197k miles out of that “bent” driveshaft.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #254  
That must be why it wasn’t getting greased. Bottom line; they are meant to have grease and don’t work well without it.
I’m just thankful I got 197k miles out of that “bent” driveshaft.
There is a reason a properly greased ujoint, by your own admission, only lasts 40K miles. Way more going on there than the size of the ujoint. I'm thankful you finally got rid of the problem.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #255  
There is a reason a properly greased ujoint, by your own admission, only lasts 40K miles. Way more going on there than the size of the ujoint. I'm thankful you finally got rid of the problem.
It was NOT properly greased. That is what I've been saying all along. I wasn't about to pull the stinking driveshaft every month to grease it. Instead, I pulled it once a year to change it.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #256  
It was NOT properly greased. That is what I've been saying all along. I wasn't about to pull the stinking driveshaft every month to grease it. Instead, I pulled it once a year to change it.
And I've been saying all along, there are 3 ujoints on my 23 yr old truck with 280K miles that have been greased once. When they were built. Glad you got rid of the problem.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #257  
Thats impressive!
I wouldn’t mind listening to you list what your concept of preventative maintenance is, because it sure seems to be working for you. (y)
My followup question would be, do you have a lift? I surely would, if I did that kind of maintenance.
According to my wife, it's not really impressive being OCD. Most kids growing up had TV's, something we didn't have in our rural area. So growing up, I spent a lot of time in my Grandfathers shop (blacksmith), my Dad's shop (engine rebuild) and the hired foreman's shop (Farm Equipment Repair). He was a ratrod builder in his spare time. A great teacher of all things mechanical, hydraulic and working with anything with rotating parts (a lot of old farm equipment).

For several years after high school I was an electronic tech and a tune-up scope repairman/salesman, automotive hoist salesman and installer. Had the opportunity to train mechanics how to read the scope and utilize the diagnostic routines. I learned even more from the mechanics than they were really learning from me, so it was a good trade.

In the process of taking trades on automotive shop equipment I ended up with what most would call a complete shop. It wasn't though.
I had a Hunter alignment rack, a 9000lb offset two post Western Hoist. Two tune-up scopes, Accu-turn brake lathe, refrigerant recovery station, etc. etc. Most of this equipment is now at a trade school in Ensenada, Mexico
Preventative Maintenance.. About every 70 to 100 thousand miles I would pretty much go through the suspension, and final drive, replacing u-joints and would re-balance the drive shaft, wheel bearing repack/replacement. I would also rebuild the differential. In between scheduled maintenance there were always small semi-annoying things to work on.
I considered this recreational time.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #258  
I FINALLY received my 2023 Buick Enclave which had been on order since last September!

I stopped by the dealership 2 weeks ago to check on the order and found it hadn't yet been accepted for factory production. The salesman said it likely wouldn't make the model year production cutoff date and would be cancelled by GM.

He offered to try and find a vehicle, similar to the one I ordered, at another dealership. Since I need the vehicle for an upcoming trip, I told him to go ahead. Two days ago, the dealer called to say they found a vehicle EXACTLY like the one I ordered and it was ready to be picked up!

There was a side benefit to the deal. The vehicle I bought was manufactured before the termination date for some options that I wanted but were no longer available due to parts shortages.

In the end, I got a vehicle with everything I wanted, plus a few discontinued features, for the same price. This was a first for me since every other vehicle I purchased off the lot involved sacrificing one or more options.

Life is good!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #259  
My daily driver is a 2002 Chevy crew cab, was a rental out of Canada when purchased with around 34,000 miles on it. Never had a payment, other than paying cash for the used vehicle.

Its on its second 6.0 liter engine (400,000 + miles), replaced some instrument panel wirings, soldered the 4 wheel drive switch as it got a cold solder joint. It rides nice and gets the good gas mileage that all those 6.0 Chevys get (13 mpg). Preventative maintenance goes a long ways in helping prevent "unexpected breakdowns". I expect this truck to be the last truck I own.

My daily driver prior to it was a 65 Ford F250 with over 500,000 miles on it.

My next truck will have to be on the other side of life!
Even simple PM's like checking all fluid levels and tire pressures monthly. When I have my car on the stands for an oil change it gives me an opportunity to check underneath the vehicle for any issues.