14 T bale knot

/ 14 T bale knot #1  

Okdes

Tractor
Kubota L3800
My 14 T won’t complete its knot or the knot won’t hold. Have followed all the manual tips including needle alignment. This is happening on both sides. Hay dogs are working, have adjusted tucker arms, tension on twine, bale chute loose and tight
097E02A2-037C-440A-AE7B-1CCCBE65A5BC.jpeg
A1E66329-5163-4EDB-B898-DCD1DB8A5444.jpeg
097E02A2-037C-440A-AE7B-1CCCBE65A5BC.jpegA1E66329-5163-4EDB-B898-DCD1DB8A5444.jpeg80AE2B58-2DD5-411B-944F-895687923B93.jpegA3593D75-4AB6-4A16-8F1C-7F3B7B1F386C.jpeg

/ 14 T bale knot #2  
First off, the 14T is set up for sisal, not poly. The twine discs are incorrect for the thinner poly twine.. You'll never get it to toe correctly with poly with those sisal discs.

/ 14 T bale knot #3  
The other issue is, the knotters (billhooks) aren't hardened and poly will destroy them pretty quickly (if it has not already). Poly twine bailers have case hardened bill hooks and multi segment twine discs. The 14T don't.

/ 14 T bale knot
Thanks for your reply. Tried to find sisal and did however they would only sell a pallet of it.

/ 14 T bale knot #6  
First -- Was it tying before? Did it tie ok last year? Has it worked for you before?

-- I don't think this is your problem, but it looks like your twine knives need some touch up. Are they riveted on? Are they sharp. Your twine ends looks kinda ragged.

-- On the bright side, it looks like the wiper arm is properly sweeping the string off the billhook. Don't mess with that.

-- I've had pretty good luck using plastic interchangeably with sisal. I can't speak to the point about it wearing things out. I didn't realize that it was more abrasive.

-- I would make very sure that my twine discs were super clean and greased. Blow everything out really good with compressed air. If it was tying for you before, I wouldn't start adjusting the twine discs until I eliminated the tucker fingers as a problem or replaced them with the new updated design tucker finger shaft and control arms.

-- It looks to me like . . . maybe . . . just my impression from the pics . . . if I'm looking at the pics correctly . . . (think that's enough disclaimers?) . . . . that your tucker fingers aren't bringing the string from the needle over to the billhook in order for that end to get spun around with the billhook and the other end of string and then wiped off as a complete knot. That's why you have an open loop laying on top of the bale and the other end is not part of the knot. Looks to me like it never made it to the billhook so there was no sting tension to pull the knot closed/tight after it was wiped off the billhook. See if you can cycle it slowly enough by hand to confirm. (BTW, mine usually won't cut the twine when cycling by hand, but you can see if things are moving and in time.)

When you said you adjusted your tucker fingers, did you also verify that the tucker finger control arm/shaft is not bent and that it cycles them smoothly and completely on each tie? Is the spring that pulls the control shaft back good and strong? Are the tucker fingers sloppy? Are they hitting or hanging up on the heavy wire guides that keep them low as they complete their swing?

Do the needles bring the twine up and into proper position for the tucker finger to pick it up and sweep it across?

Are you familiar with Finger Lakes Equipment in Penn Yan, NY. They have a catalog of updated parts for these balers and lots of troubleshooting tips. They have the upgraded tucker control kits which offer a much better design.

Good luck with it!!

((Edit -- Just re-read your description of the problem. Since it's happening on BOTH sides, that confirms even more my suspicion about the tucker fingers. Need to take a really hard look at the tucker control arm/shaft, spring, and free movement. ))

Last edited:
   / 14 T bale knot #7  
Another question . . . If it was working before . . . Did you recently increase the twine disc tension?

Also can't tell from the pics, but have you blown out all the chaff and debris from around the tucker fingers and the hay dogs? You're sure the hay dog springs are ok?

Just wanted to revisit since I'd be looking at all of this if it was mine. Thanks. Good luck.

Last edited: