1538 rear axle won't stay locked

/ 1538 rear axle won't stay locked #1  

LowellBen

Tractor
2015 Mahindra 1538HST
I haven't done any searching of the forums - my bad.

I can't keep the rear axle locked. Even with my heel on the lever, it kicks out. Am hoping that the gear or whatever is just not engaged all the way. I guess the worst case is that the PO did something to damage things.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is an adjustment to the linkage. I can't see where the linkage goes without taking the seat and maybe the seat pedestal off. I don't want to waste my time taking things apart if there is no adjustment.

I'm working on a slope of about 25 degrees and it sure would be nice to have three wheel drive instead of just two. I'm cutting in a trail on some pretty steep and rocky hills. I first loosen things up with the hoe and then turn the tractor around and smooth out the loosened stuff with the bucket. Tedious.

Tractor has 225 hours on it now. I bought it used as a repo with just 110 hours on the meter.

Thanks,
Lowell

/ 1538 rear axle won't stay locked
I talked to a shop about this. There is an adjustment on the right side near the axle tube. I took a pretty big swing at it and ended up with a condition where the actuator arm bottoms out internally just as the linkage hits a travel limit stop. I can now engage diff lock and it doesn't want to kick out during sharp turns and I'm dragging one of the rear tires. The test will be when I get it up on the slope and the drivetrain loads up. When I use my heel to disengage the diff lock and then move the tractor, I can hear a click when the lock disengages.

Lowell