1725 takes a while to start

/ 1725 takes a while to start
As I said in post #33 the starting seems normal to me IF THERE WERE NO GLOW PLUG ACTION in very warm weather. However as I understand it you think you applied the glow plugs longer before and less than that in this post #48 video. I just don't see much difference in cranking time. I assume you had the engine either COLD or at least not very recently run in both cases (otherwise the comparison would not be valid.) If all that is true then I doubt that the glow plugs were really getting hot at all in either case. The indicators for how long the glow plugs ran (ticking noise interval, whatever your control mechanism is) may very well be SAYING the glow plugs ran X amount of time but maybe they are not really operating at all. If I were you I'd find a way to check and see if the glow plugs are really operating or not.

I'm too lazy to go look thru all 47 prior posts but did you say that when the engine was good and hot and just turned off for a minute or two that it cranked A) about this same amount as in these 2 video examples? OR B) very short or almost NO cranking before starting & much less cranking than these examples?

I’ll see what I can find out about if the glow plugs are actually working or not. It takes maybe a couple less cranks if the engine is already hot to restart.

keep in mind the first 5 seconds of glow plug activation don't really do much. takes few seconds for them to get hot enough, so if holding for 5 seconds you are not doing anything with glow plugs.
I had the GC1725MB with 110 hours down here yesterday. hot start pretty much the same as what you've been posting. shut off. 5 minutes later takes about 4-5 full rotations to be running.

Good to know thanks!

/ 1725 takes a while to start #53  
I'll be honest, I think there is nothing wrong here. And if wrong I'll publicly admit it here.

/ 1725 takes a while to start #54  
I'll be honest, I think there is nothing wrong here. And if wrong I'll publicly admit it here.
You may be quite right -- I think those who own exactly the same model tractor and engine are the ones for the OP to pay attention to (not the rest of us.)

I say that because there are no doubt a range of differences among different engines and variables like turbocharging, what type injection system it is, etc.

I will say my Kubota BX2200 is a small 3 cyl engine one would think similar to the GC1725. Neither are turbocharged. With 8 seconds of glow plug use and 88 deg air temp with no prior running that day (today) mine started so quick I could not detect any cranking at all besides the initial single turnover. And I know at similar temps and first start of the day WITHOUT glow plug usage mine will crank several revolutions before starting, about the same as the OP's recording. That's why I question whether his glow plugs are working AT ALL.

Last edited:
   / 1725 takes a while to start #55  
FWIW, I'd say my 2310 starts precisely as described above by JWR. (3-cyl/1100cc IDI non-turbo diesel.) After sitting all night: No GP, quite a few cranks necessary, if it starts at all within a reasonable cranking time. With GP, even at moderately warm temps, starts quickly.

/ 1725 takes a while to start #56  
The 50hr service is ONLY.... engine oil and oil filter, plus check for loose hardware, no sweat
The most important thing you need to do at 50 hrs, is to locate ALL grease fittings, and make sure they are properly lubed. Especially, if you have a TLB. You need to find the ones the kid at the dealer missed when they did the "prep". Which is always the most common complaint. And, it's exactly why you should do it yourself.

Thinking getting it done at the dealer assures it's done right, is a mistake.

/ 1725 takes a while to start #57  
I used mine last friday. Starting it cold, air temp was 80f, glow plugs for about 10 seconds. It started in just about 1 second .... "one one thousand t......"

I didn't remember this until I had been running the GPs. GPs when starting the 1st time are just a habit. Next time I will try to remember start it without them to see what happens, but I don't run my tractor much this time of year, could be another week or more before I mow again and I don't like starting it if I'm not going to run it.

The most important thing you need to do at 50 hrs, is to locate ALL grease fittings, and make sure they are properly lubed. Especially, if you have a TLB. You need to find the ones the kid at the dealer missed when they did the "prep". Which is always the most common complaint. And, it's exactly why you should do it yourself.

Ive greased all the fittings every 10 hours so far. I skipped the backhoe one time because I didn’t use it for a stretch during a lot of loader work. I took the backhoe bucket off to put a root ripper on and the pins were still greased up nice. I’m installing a underground dog fence wire and using the root ripper to cut the trench.it’s worked pretty well so far. I have found a couple good sized rocks. Actually now thinking about it I forgot the pedals haha. I’ll do that today when my load of 3” minus arrives, or when I get back to the fence install.

Attachments

• 7E980F1E-D497-40B0-988E-B5B9517D2E18.jpeg
    7E980F1E-D497-40B0-988E-B5B9517D2E18.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 55
  • 5D2A449C-0D4E-4031-BCEA-3F87B08F6B81.jpeg
    5D2A449C-0D4E-4031-BCEA-3F87B08F6B81.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
   / 1725 takes a while to start #59  

Per owner's manual