1956 420C no start issue

/ 1956 420C no start issue #1  

kimmy95620

Tractor
56 420C ser # 88815
The tractor was running but idling up and down. We changed plugs,wires,cap,points,condenser, and coil.Checked power to key cylinder and relay behind dash panel as well. Did oil change at same time. I have power to all but still will not start, it cranks but will not start. it is getting fuel as far as I know cause I can smell it when cranking. Anyone have any ideas where to start? I am not familiar with tractors at all so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

/ 1956 420C no start issue #2  
:welcome: to TBN

At this point, I would try putting fresh fuel into the two cylinders, then replace the plugs and see if it will fire..

Also, will fuel make it to the carburetor.. might have to remove the line at the carb to check this.

Stick with us, and collectively we should be able to help.

Envious of your 420C, and wish I hadn't sold mine several years ago. But that is water over the dam now..

Would be great to see some pics...

/ 1956 420C no start issue
beenthere,
Thanks for the reply. I will give your suggestions a try next time we go up to the property. Wrong time for her to not run, we need to take care of some burn piles and will not even light unless tractor is running. I'll see if I can find some pics and attach, I have way too many pics on my phone.

/ 1956 420C no start issue #4  
Have you checked to be sure sparkplugs are receiving electricity when engine crankshaft/camshaft are spinning? Also sparkplugs have been known to get drowned with gasoline & no produce the required spark to ignite the gasoline.

/ 1956 420C no start issue
Thanks Tx Jim,
Another thing we can try when we go back up! We won't be going up to property till after the first of the year. I really appreciate your input, we will keep all posted on the fix!

/ 1956 420C no start issue #6  
Think you will find you have a fuel delivery problem anywhere from the fuel tank through the carb. Had problems with a couple of mine (50 and 1010)getting too much fuel. Rebuilt the 1010 carb but so far just cleaned the 50 carb. Both run fine now, knock on wood. Start by removing the spark plugs to see if they are soaked, also check the air delivery system, have seen that plugged up and cause problems.

/ 1956 420C no start issue #7  
do you have spark at the plugs for sure? File the points or install new ones if they are burned bad. I have a 420 long axle Utility and I always have have to file the points almost every time I use it. Take the plugs out and burn the gas off them with a hot torch then slap them back in while hot ---- sometimes that will start them.

/ 1956 420C no start issue #8  
If you have fuel in the air intake hose with fuel shut off valve at bottom of tank open over night, and when running black exhaust, either your brass floats are not sealed and fuel logged or most likely either the needle valve under the float has dirt in it not allowing it to seat or the needle valve is bad or not seating properly; they used to use brass needle valves, I tend to like the rubber tipped ones that seal better or the float setting is off not allowing it to close the needle valve when fuel reaches proper level in the carb thus dumping excess fuel into the carb. You got good advice from DaninOhio on the ignition and that it could be a fuel delivery problem. I have a 1957 420C and a 1959 430C, 2 cyl GM blocks. I have removed a piece of branch out of the 430c fuel tank that was used to check the amount of fuel in the tank by someone and was dropped in by accident. Also check to see if you're fuel bowl has water in it, and if you don't have an inline fuel filter; put one on, it will save you trouble down the road! The only things I bave to add to the ignition side is that I had extra Accel copper plug wires lying around from used on a 68 Camaro and thought they might help get some stronger spark to my AC Delco plugs on my 6 volt system and they did! Always replace the rubber distributor cap seal which fits into the bottom of the cap and make sure you have that felt in the center of your distributor shaft under the rotor and drop 3 to 4 drops of oil into the felt if dry and 1-2 every year.

/ 1956 420C no start issue #9  
Forgot to say that that branch was blocking the fuel flow from tank into the bowl!

/ 1956 420C no start issue #10  
Forgot to say that the gear on the governor on the 430c was ruty and pitted when I rebuilt the engine and I couldn't find one so I cleaned it up the best that I could and packed it with grease. It was worn and I had to readjust the governor setting as I had a fluctuation in engine speed before the rebuilt. Runs smoothly now. The cylinders were way out of round also.