1966 Farmall 656

/ 1966 Farmall 656 #11  
If you go straight pipe, go as high as the barn door will allow..!!

/ 1966 Farmall 656
Thanks for the info and yeah I want to get rid of that exhaust but, I gotta get the whole manifold they broke the old pipe off and welded that cherry bomb to what was left and the manifold is cracked from the original brake and horrible weld to boot.. lol will order a new manifold and pipe next week I hope the manifold bolts come out easy... ��

/ 1966 Farmall 656 #13  
Good luck on finding one. Non existent on my d 236. Had to take the manifold to a machine shop to weld. No problem. Good as new.

/ 1966 Farmall 656
I've found a few new ones thankfully the gas ones are pretty common it seems it's on the list along with the leveling arms on the 3 they are badly stripped. Found that out when I was using the bush hog and they both came apart. How are the front ends as far as sturdy cause this model seems to look a bit flimsy to me. I know IH front ends are lot of trouble especially for all my neghibors who have one.

/ 1966 Farmall 656 #15  
I just noticed that the front end is not adjustable for width. I checked Case/IH, but don't see a straight axle. And, again strange the tie rods are adjustable. Just wondering if someone fabbed a new front axle from heavy wall tubing. That may explain the funky steering knuckle arms. That sure doesn't look like a factory weld, where the steering knuckle tubes are welded to the axle. If it works for you, that's great.

That being said, the front axle on mine hasn't been much of a problem. We have snapped two spindles off, both on the right side. Both, from sudden load shock using the loader. Dad dropped in a hidden hole loading a log, and I had a bundle of posts shift, and dropped off a trailer, and the chain came taught just before hitting the ground. I do use mine to bring 600 lb. round bales in to the barn, on the loader with a spear. Having 2 spindles break, I'm in no hurry, and just chug along in 2nd gear at just over an idle.

I did have the center steering arm loosen up on me about 5 years ago. The clamp bolt had loosened, and let it drop some. Put it back in place, and tightened good, and has been fine since.

If you've operated other's with a T/A, you probably know by now that they will free wheel in the low side. The 656 T/A clutches are dry, not a wet clutch like on the bigger series. And, from what I've read, about the only way to tear one out, is to use the T/A as a brake to slow down, if you get to free wheeling. Just slow it with the brakes, then shift to high.

/ 1966 Farmall 656
Thanks for the info i believe after some searching the front end is aftermarket and was made by Schwartz but they did some more work to it afterwards. Any way to see if it was originally tricycle front end or they broke the factory wide front and bought aftermarket one . Thanks again

/ 1966 Farmall 656 #17  
Nice tractor! I have one just like it and she痴 a good one! One thing to remember is ... if it has a TA, it ain稚 no hydro.