1974 Ford 4000 Diesel

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #11  
Yes and I have a large Massey here with a 6 cylinder that has a place to put a can. We have a few R model Mack trucks and other diesels. My brother will spray it outside the air filter so it has time to mix before intake. My uncle was a navy diesel engineman in Vietnam and worked for Cummins since nam. He showed me what starting fluid did. He never had a can with him. He never married so he was big part of my life.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #12  
He showed me what starting fluid did. He never had a can with him.
More likely, the misuse of starting fluid...
Starting fluid has been around for decades. Now, since my tractors have had intake heaters (except for my first, a Deere 670) never used starting fluid...
Only exception is that old Ford backhoe decades ago

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #13  
I had an International 260 backhoe that also had provisions for ether injection, on those cold days you had to give it some juice.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #14  
More likely, the misuse of starting fluid...
Starting fluid has been around for decades. Now, since my tractors have had intake heaters (except for my first, a Deere 670) never used starting fluid...
Only exception is that old Ford backhoe decades ago
Yes because most young people have no clue about the black top versus red top. And they use way too much, spray it like they are spraying a wasp nest.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #15  
Maybe...but I ran a Ford backhoe in the late 1960's that actually had a provision for starting fluid. The can of fluid was inserted in a slide (something like that, but I'm probably using the wrong terminology) on the instrument panel.
IIRC, you could only do one squirt at a time (that is, can't continuously spray).
This was in what is now Columbia City in Howard County, Maryland.
I also recall bonfires set under some of the dozers and other equipment to warm 'em up enough to start them.
I also remember having to use a jackhammer to break up the ground in order for the Backhoe to dig sewer trenches.

Them was the days when I was young, stupid and could handle cold winters!!
Yes but them old machines was back before they knew the damage it caused. My friends dad up in his 70's said when he was a kid his grandma would give him cigarettes....back then they werent bad for you. He was 6 at the time. Not a smoker.