1979 John Deere 950 Engine Problems

/ 1979 John Deere 950 Engine Problems #1  

Mdeisher

Tractor
1979 John Deere 950
I recently came into possession of a 1979 John Deere 950 with 1,019 hours. I have no idea how long it has sat, but the battery that I took out of it had a date from 2012.

We have redone a lot of the wiring as it was all corroded or chewed up from mice over the years.

We put a new battery in it, added antifreeze, and fresh diesel to it. The oil looked completely new as did the fuel filter.

The Tractor started right up and we let it idle for about 15 minutes. A couple of weeks later we started it and drove it for about 30 minutes. We tried to use it to pull a small tree up out of the ground and I noticed when it was under load it was spewing either diesel or coolant out of the blow by and quit once it wasn’t under load anymore. We drove it a little more and parked it. The next day it would fire up. After working on it a few days we figured out the injector pump was so gummed up that it wasn’t hardly moving and not getting enough fuel to the injectors. We got it cleaned up where it was moving freely and it started right up. After we had it idling for a few minutes we revved up the motor and it started making screeching and grinding noises like the motor was trying to lock up. It sounded like it may be coming from around the crankcase, but I’m not 100% sure. If we took the compression off the cylinders for easy starting it spins freely with no noises or issues, but Once we put the compression back on and it starts to fire up the noise would start and it would struggle to run and die. We finally got it to start and not make the noise anymore. We noticed quite a bit of smoke coming out of the blow by and also these small tar like deposits all inside the engine compartment which was also what was covering the back of the injector pump keeping it from moving. I’m afraid to run it not knowing what the sound is.

If I can get some some assistance with finding out what the tar like deposits are, why there is smoke/liquid coming out of the blow by, and what the noise coming from the engine compartment could be I would really appreciate it. I have never messed with a diesel motor before so this is all new to me.

/ 1979 John Deere 950 Engine Problems #2  
I’m going to guess the injector pump is dumping diesel into the crankcase and thinning the oil. Another possibility is it sat without enough antifreeze protection and you blew a head gasket, or cracked head or block. Worse case and the most likely thing in my mind is you ran it with badly contaminated oil and the bearings are shot. When you saw it dumping stuff out the blow by should have been a sign of a problem. Sorry for the bad news but I could be wrong also.

/ 1979 John Deere 950 Engine Problems #3  
Agree with "dodge man", that your first sign of a problem that apparently was ignored, caused more problems.
Didn't read if you had dropped out the old oil and replaced with new and filter, changed the fuel filter and replaced old fuel, prior to starting and running the engine.. but hope all that was done before spewing out liquid when working the tractor.
Hopefully there was no coolant in the oil when running the engine.. think that would lock up that engine pretty quick.

But welcome to TBN and hope more can help you get fixed up as we hear more back from you. Maybe just sounds worse than it really is. Hope so.

/ 1979 John Deere 950 Engine Problems
I drained the oil today l and it definitely had diesel in the oil. Doesn’t even feel like oil anymore.

What are some reasons the pump could have been dumping diesel in the oil? We took the pump off and cleaned the back of it because the tab sticking out that moves with the timing was so gummed up we could barely move it. We got it cleaned where it moves freely.

/ 1979 John Deere 950 Engine Problems #5  
I’ve never messed with diesel injection pumps so I’m not sure. There might bo other ways diesel could get in. I had a car, a 1977 Ford that would dump gas in the oil. A diaphragm inside the pump would fail and allow gas into the oil pan. I’m not sure if that can happen with a diesel injection pump or not.