1980's Massey Ferguson 240 (LED Lightbar Install)

/ 1980's Massey Ferguson 240 (LED Lightbar Install) #1  

MF240 Baldy Guy

Tractor
Late 80's MF 240 1400hrs
Does anyone have any pics of their tractors with light bar install? Have had the tractor for 3yrs and the lights have never worked. Recently purchased small light bar and looking to mount straight on the hood if possible as the tractor came without a rollover bar. Tractor has no brush guard and no front end loader. Mainly used for putting out hay and brush hogging. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. I promise i searched for examples prior to posting as i am sure there are many, but couldn't find any like I am needed!

/ 1980's Massey Ferguson 240 (LED Lightbar Install) #2  
Do you have the amber lights on the fenders? Years ago I added the old style lights to the fenders, found the wires were all tucked in the amber light boxes and the light switch on the dash controlled them. There were already holes in the fenders and amber light box to mount lights. You could mount LED stud mount lights in the those locations.

/ 1980's Massey Ferguson 240 (LED Lightbar Install)
Do you have the amber lights on the fenders? Years ago I added the old style lights to the fenders, found the wires were all tucked in the amber light boxes and the light switch on the dash controlled them. There were already holes in the fenders and amber light box to mount lights. You could mount LED stud mount lights in the those locations.
No sir, i have the rounded fenders. Only headlights under the hood.

/ 1980's Massey Ferguson 240 (LED Lightbar Install) #4  
No sir, i have the rounded fenders. Only headlights under the hood.

I have the round fenders as well. Should be a hole in each fender (facing backwards) to take the stud mount lights in your link. You could mount the light bar on top of the rad shell.

If the original switch and headlights are still there, wouldn't take much to make them work as all the wiring is easy to get at.

/ 1980's Massey Ferguson 240 (LED Lightbar Install) #5  
On a tractor from the 1980's, do you have an alternator or a dynamo? I have a very early, year 2000, Kubota BX2200, with a dynamo. I have read that LEDs will not work with output from a dynamo.

There is (or was?) a kit to convert the earliest BX2200's to an alternator. Right now, I am wondering if two hood-mounted waterproof (IPX8) mountain bike lights with replaceable 18650 batteries would be a good alternative to finding and installing the much more expensive alternator kit.

There are even waterproof handheld flashlights (Convoy S2+) for under $20 apiece that might work. I only need a few hours of light for snowblowing, already have a battery charger, etc. But mountain bike headlights should be more shock-resistant than the construction of handheld flashlights.

If only a few hours of light are needed, and you mostly run your M-F in daylight, maybe mountable IPX8 flashlights are good enough for occasional use. Then you also gain two very good handheld flashlights.

Not what you're looking for, I know. But if you have wiring problems or power supply problems, maybe a distant Plan "B" to consider.