1990 ford 1720 pto grinding

/ 1990 ford 1720 pto grinding #1  

swarley814

Tractor
Ford 1720
Hey guys, first post in the forum. I have a 1990 ford 1720. This is my first tractor so I’m still figuring out all of the tricks to run it smoothly. I am having issues getting the pto to engage when I have an attachment hooked up. With nothing attached it goes in and out no problem. I checked the clutch pedal adjustment and that is all good. I even took all of the play out just to see if that would let it engage enough but still no luck. I have seen that there is an inspection spot on the right side from other posts on here but can’t find it on my tractor. Is it behind the piece in the picture? I’m hoping I can adjust it through that part to avoid splitting the tractor. The previous owner said he didn’t use the pto much so maybe it got stuck together from sitting? Any help would be appreciated. Not sure how many hours it has but all fluids are good.

Attachments

• A45D4C7B-B0CB-434D-8C46-E087E457780D.jpeg
    A45D4C7B-B0CB-434D-8C46-E087E457780D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 104
   / 1990 ford 1720 pto grinding #2  
There is an inspection hole under the loader mount. You indicated that the PTO goes in and out when nothing is attached and that tells me that the PTO disc is fine. Does the shaft spin when in the off position and nothing attached? Question is, why when something is attached, it won't engage. Grinding when engaging I assume? If anything, when there is something attached, it would keep the PTO still.

/ 1990 ford 1720 pto grinding
There is an inspection hole under the loader mount. You indicated that the PTO goes in and out when nothing is attached and that tells me that the PTO disc is fine. Does the shaft spin when in the off position and nothing attached? Question is, why when something is attached, it won't engage. Grinding when engaging I assume? If anything, when there is something attached, it would keep the PTO still.
So is the inspection hole behind the piece in the picture? With the tractor off and pto disengaged I can spin it by Hand . Yes It grinds when trying to engage it with my brush hog attached. I can get it to go in but I don’t want to do more damage grinding it in every time.

/ 1990 ford 1720 pto grinding #4  
Here is some help from previous postings. The 1720 and 1920 models are very similar.

/ 1990 ford 1720 pto grinding #5  
So is the inspection hole behind the piece in the picture? With the tractor off and pto disengaged I can spin it by Hand . Yes It grinds when trying to engage it with my brush hog attached. I can get it to go in but I don’t want to do more damage grinding it in every time.
LH side of bell housing, yes.

Also could i jump the neutral safety switch and start the tractor with the pto engaged and hooked up to the brush hog to try to get the clutch to release if it got stuck due to lack of use? That switch is up by the shift lever by all of the gauges right?

/ 1990 ford 1720 pto grinding #7  
Also could i jump the neutral safety switch and start the tractor with the pto engaged and hooked up to the brush hog to try to get the clutch to release if it got stuck due to lack of use? That switch is up by the shift lever by all of the gauges right?

Exactly what I'd do. Put a Bush Hog on and jump the pto switch. Start it and push the clutch in while running and see if it keeps turning. I'd go to cutting and push the clutch often to get it to disengage. Once it does, hook your safety switch back up. If not, look further.

Anyone have pictures of where the neutral safety switch is so I can find it to jump it?

/ 1990 ford 1720 pto grinding #9  
No pictures in my I&T FO-46 repair manual but it says that the Ford/NH 1720 PTO safety switch is located on top of the rear axle center housing. I would follow the wiring to it and make sure the PTO engagment lever is in the circuit.
Alternatively, you can bypass all safety switches and engage the starter by jumping from the battery lug on the starter to the starter solenoid lug on the starter. This can be a dangerous jump so be real careful if you do it. Someone needs to be in the seat and the second person can use a long screwdriver to span the jump posts. Sparks will fly so be careful.
Good luck.